Up@dawn 2.0 (blogger)

Delight Springs

Thursday, November 11, 2021

It’s Not a ‘Stream’ of Consciousness

But still it flows…

IN 1890, the American psychologist William James famously likened our conscious experience to the flow of a stream. "A 'river' or a 'stream' are the metaphors by which it is most naturally described," he wrote. "In talking of it hereafter, let's call it the stream of thought, consciousness, or subjective life." 

While there is no disputing the aptness of this metaphor in capturing our subjective experience of the world, recent research has shown that the "stream" of consciousness is, in fact, an illusion. We actually perceive the world in rhythmic pulses rather than as a continuous flow…

2 comments:

  1. (H2)

    Do you feel more resentful or grateful to have been "thrown" into the world?

    I would consider myself to be grateful to have been "thrown" into the world. I personally would not have wanted to practically have my life planned out for me down to the socioeconomic status of myself in my family. In some cultures, specifically Hinduism, you are born into a caste system, and you act and are treated accordingly to that caste system. This is great if you are born into the upper caste system or into a wealthy family, but honestly not so great if you are born into a lower tier caste system. I believe that the ability to have mobility and free will within our lives is such a blessing to be grateful for. We have the power to change our futures in millions upon millions of ways, and that is something that I will always consider to be a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. H01
      I am grateful to be thrown into the world but at the same time I would have liked a guide on how to handle specific situations.

      Delete