Up@dawn 2.0 (blogger)

Delight Springs

Sunday, March 17, 2024

Peter Singer on Buddhism

"… When I was still a graduate student in philosophy, I came to see that there is no justification for our exclusion of animals from the circle of beings to whom we have ethical obligations, and I stopped eating meat. Some people asked me if this view had anything to do with Buddhism. It didn't, but it did give me a sense of affinity between my own ideas and Buddhism, because the Buddhist precept of refraining from taking life includes all sentient beings. This is, in my view, a distinct improvement over the Christian, Jewish, and Islamic religious traditions, which limit their injunctions against killing solely to members of our own species..."

https://open.substack.com/pub/boldreasoningwithpetersinger/p/an-extract-from-my-latest-book-the?r=35ogp&utm_medium=ios

No comments:

Post a Comment