Up@dawn 2.0 (blogger)

Delight Springs

Tuesday, November 10, 2020

7 Important Reasons to Unplug, Find Space, and Fight Technology Addiction

 “Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you.” —Anne Lamott

Technology has some wonderful benefits. I use it almost every day. And I would never, ever argue against the responsible use of it.

However, that being said, it is becoming increasingly obvious that our world is developing an unhealthy attachment to it.  Addiction to our technology and overall cell phone addiction is becoming too common:

  • 84% of cell phone users claim they could not go a single day without their device. (source)
  • 67% of cell phone owners check their phone for messages, alerts, or calls — even when they don’t notice their phone ringing or vibrating. (source)
  • Studies indicate some mobile device owners check their devices every 6.5 minutes. (source)
  • 88% of U.S. consumers use mobile devices as a second screen even while watching television. (source)
  • Almost half of cell owners have slept with their phone next to their bed because they wanted to make sure they didn’t miss any calls. (source)
  • Traditional TV viewing eats up over six days (144 hours, 54 minutes) worth of time per month. (source)
  • Some researchers have begun labeling “cell phone checking” as the new yawn because of its contagious nature. (source)

But we don’t need statistics to tell us we are addicted to our technology. We already know this to be true—which is probably why this powerful video has received over 13,000,000 views in less than six days (and over 51.7 million as of September 2019).

But we need to be reminded again and again: Technology addiction is powerful but it does have a power-off button. And the wisest of us know when to use it and when to take a more minimalist approach to our technology.

Consider again, just some of these important reasons to unplug... (continues)

==

More on unplugging...

Get ready for National Day of Unplugging, March 5-6, 2021-
National Day of Unplugging is an awareness campaign that promotes a 24-hour respite from technology annually observed the first weekend in March. For more than a decade, schools, religious institutions and businesses have used our resources to inspire healthy life/tech balance. Participation is open to anyone who wishes to elevate human connection over digital engagement.
==
Unplug: 52 Days a Year Without the Internet

I love the internet. I wouldn’t have this blog without the internet. We wouldn’t be connecting on Facebook, Instagram or through email without the internet. I do work I love thanks to the internet. I’ve met some of my closest friends because of the internet.

And … I need the internet to go away sometimes. The internet may be open 24/7 but I’m not. I can’t be. You can’t be either. It’s too much. I need to intentionally shift my time and attention away from my phone and computer to show up for my life. I try to take regular digital breaks, but I haven’t been as consistent as I’d like lately.

Recently, I realized that if I only break for one day a week, I’ll have 52 full days a year without the internet. That made me smile... (continues)

No comments:

Post a Comment