Loneliness. It is something that everyone has experienced in their life. In Kieran Setiya's writing, "Life is Hard," he talks about the interesting complexity behind loneliness. What is loneliness ? How can it be combated? These are things that Setiya answers and talks about.
What Does Chat GPT Think?
The first thing that people want to know, is how to overcome loneliness. I asked chat GPT the answer to this question, because I wanted to see what AI, something that does not have emotions, though about this. The answer I was given is -
1. Reconnect with Existing Relationships
Reach out to friends, family, or acquaintances—even a short conversation can help.
Schedule regular interactions, like weekly calls or coffee meetups.
2. Form New Connections
Join a club, class, or volunteer group that aligns with your interests.
Use platforms (online or local) to meet people with similar hobbies or values.
Don’t wait to be invited—take the initiative to suggest plans or introduce yourself.
3. Practice Other-Focused Engagement
While this answer is very bland and not really unique, it is what the general person's advice would be to combating loneliness. This is still slightly different from what Setiya says though. Setiya believes more in trying to help others during times of loneliness, rather than helping ourselves. This is a interesting take , as most people would say the opposite. "Reach out for help," is the most common answer to combating loneliness.
Philosophical Perspective
Setiya's idea about loneliness, in a nut shell, says that we should recognize and value the people around us. Doing this, can help us understand the relational needs between the people we hold closest to us.
What do I think of Loneliness?
Like everyone , I have experienced loneliness. I feel as though I have experienced a abundance of it at some points in my life. Loneliness is something that can not really be explained, but felt. The idea of being
alone is scary to think about.
However, I think being alone is actually a slightly beneficial time in people's lives. Basically, when someone is "lonely" it can often be a time of self reflection and self improvement. In my times of loneliness, I was motivated to better myself. Knowing that you have yourself, even when others don't, is a good experience at times. Being alone and being lonely is two different things however. Loneliness when not a choice, can be dangerous, while self inflicted loneliness that is wanted or needed can be a good thing.
Final Thoughts
Reading and learning about loneliness is very interesting. Something that I feel like everyone experiences is easy and fun to write and learn about. While I have read and researched many
philosophers takes on loneliness, I personally believe that loneliness is the feeling someone has when they think they are misunderstood in their struggle. This happens everyday, as no one can tell you how something makes you feel. One person's struggles, could be someone else's "good" struggle. I encourage everyone to research and use some of the resources I have linked in this to better understand loneliness.
No comments:
Post a Comment