Up@dawn 2.0 (blogger)

Delight Springs

Tuesday, October 28, 2025

Questions OCT 30

Pizza Party/Open House, JUB 202, 5 to 6:30... an opportunity to learn about next semester's course offerings.


WGU -p.165

1. Kant's definition of maturity is what?

2. Education, travel, and work share what common purpose, ideally?

3. You're not grown-up if you've not rejected what? 

4. Why should languages and music be learned as early as possible?

5. What is the message of Rousseau's Emile?

6. What does it mean to love a book?

7. The internet, says Nick Carr, is a machine geared for what?

8. If you don't travel you're likely to suppose what?

9. What did Rousseau say about those who do not walk?

10. What is travel's greatest gift?



Discussion Questions
  • What are some other signs of being grown-up, besides the ability to think for yourself? 123
  • Are you good at accepting compromise? Are the adults in your life? 124
  • Have you "sifted through your parents' choices about everything"? 125
  • Do you "love the world enough to assume responsibility for it?" 126
  • Has your educational experience so far broken or furthered your "urge to explore the world"? Do you still "desire to learn"? 127
  • Should corporations like Coca-Cola be allowed to have "pouring rights" in public schools? 132
  • "You must take your education into your own hands as soon as possible." Did you? How? 140
  • Should the age of legal maturity be raised to match the age of brain maturity? 140
  • "Minds need at least as much exercise as bodies..." 141 Do you get enough of both forms of exercise? Too much of one or the other? Do you subscribe to Mens sana in corpore sano?
  • Do you love books and reading? 143 
  • Do you agree with Mark Twain?: "A person who won't read has no advantage over a person who can't."
  • Are you willing to go a month without internet? Or even a day? 148
  • Were Augustine and Rousseau right about travel? 150-51
  • Does group travel "preclude real encounters" with a place? 158
  • Do you hope to live and work one day in another culture for at least a year? Do you think it will contribute to your maturity? 162-3

SSHM Prologue
1. Young William James's problem, as he felt "pulled in too many directions" and worried that we might be nothing but cogs in a machine, was ____.

2. What is distinctive about "our age" that makes James particularly relevant?

3. What happened on Feb. 6, 2014 that prompted Kaag to write this book?
4. "Too much questioning and too little active responsibility lead" to what?

5. Human history is "one long commentary on" what?

6. A "wider world... unseen by us" may exist, just as our world does for ___.

7. The "deepest thing in our nature," which deals with possibilities rather than finished facts, is a "dumb region of the heart" called (in German) ___.
==
As we commence reading John Kaag's Sick Souls, Healthy Minds (SSHM), here's a new venture he's recently launched:

Rebind: a new interactive way to read, a novel application of AI to learning. "Turn books into conversations"-

For the past year, two philosophy professors have been calling around to prominent authors and public intellectuals with an unusual, perhaps heretical, proposal. They have been asking these thinkers if, for a handsome fee, they wouldn’t mind turning themselves into A.I. chatbots.

John Kaag, one of the academics, is a professor at the University of Massachusetts Lowell. He is known for writing books, such as “Hiking With Nietzsche” and “American Philosophy: A Love Story,” that blend philosophy and memoir... (nyt, continues)

==
Discussion questions:

  • Have you ever felt "pulled in too many directions"? 2 How did you respond?
  • Do you approach philosophy as a "detached intellectual exercise," an "existential life preserver," or something else?
  • Where would you place yourself on the spectrum between "sick soul" and "healthy-minded"? Does that change, over time?
  • Can belief that life is worth living become self-fulfilling?
  • Do you know any "sick souls"? 3 Or "healthy minds"? 4 Are they the same person?
  • Do you agree that believing life to be worth living "will help create the fact"? 5
  • Do you like WJ's answer to the question "Is life worth living?" 9
  • Is suicide always "the wrong way to exit life"? 10
  • Have you ever visited the Harvard campus? What were your impressions?
  • Is "maybe" a good answer to the eponymous question of James's essay below?
  • Do you like Whitman's poetic expression of "the joy of living"?
  • Have you ever been as happy as Rousseau at Annecy?
  • Do you agree that nature cannot embody the ultimate "divine" spirit of the universe? What if you remove (or re-define) "divine"? 489
  • Do you agree that "sufferings and hardships do not, as a rule, abate the love of life..."? 491
  • Does the "purely naturalistic basis" suffice to make life worth living? 494
  • Does life feel like a "real fight" to you? 502
==
*IS LIFE WORTH LIVING? (see the Library of America's terrific William James : Writings 1878-1899... vol.2 is William James : Writings 1902-1910).


When Mr. Mallock's book with this title appeared some fifteen years ago, the jocose answer that "it depends on the liver" had great currency in the newspapers. The answer which I propose to give to-night cannot be jocose. In the words of one of Shakespeare's prologues,—
"I come no more to make you laugh; things now,

That bear a weighty and a serious brow,

Sad, high, and working, full of state and woe,"—

must be my theme. In the deepest heart of all of us there is a corner in which the ultimate mystery of things works sadly; and I know not what such an association as yours intends, nor what you ask of those whom you invite to address you, unless it be to lead you from the surface-glamour of existence, and for an hour at least to make you heedless to the buzzing and jigging and vibration of small interests and excitements that form the tissue of our ordinary consciousness. Without further explanation or apology, then, I ask you to join me in turning an attention, commonly too unwilling, to the profounder bass-note of life. Let us search the lonely depths for an hour together, and see what answers in the last folds and recesses of things our question may find... (continues)

FL 39-40
1. Who's the (former-fringe) freak and Sandy Hook "truther" who nonetheless draws the line at shape-shifting reptilian humanoids?

2. Where did the reptilian conspiracy idea begin?

3. What started to happen with "unhinged" people in the 90s?

4. What fictional work and author influenced libertarian/conservative politicians like Paul Ryan?

5. What has the GOP become, besides a distinctly Christian political party?

6. What two states "require officeholders to believe in Heaven and Hell"?

7. What did H.L. Mencken say about "civilized Tennesseans"?

DQ
  • Why does anyone give Alex Jones any credibility at all?
  • Why do people like Ayn Rand's message that selfishness is a virtue?
  • Was Mencken right about the Scopes Trial? 375

19 comments:

  1. Morgan Conner, Section 3October 28, 2025 at 6:27 PM

    SSHM Prologue:

    1: Young William James’s problem was meaninglessness.
    2: Our age is one that avoids tradition and superstition but craves existential meaning, one that is defined by affluence but also depression and acute anxiety, and one that puts icons who think the life of fame is one that should be short-lived on high pedestals.
    3: A 2006 Harvard alumnus named Steven Rose took his own life by jumping off the roof of William James Hall and falling 170 feet before hitting the ground.

    Fantasyland 39-40

    1: Alex Jones, the “natural ominconspiracist” who was recently sued and ordered to liquidate all of his assets in order to help pay the families of victims of the Sandy Hook shooting which he defamed.
    3: The “unhinged” right people of the 90s became more influential and larger than their unhinged left counterparts.
    4: “Atlas Struggled” by Ayn Rand influenced Paul Ryan and other conservative politicians.
    5: The GOP’s frantic conspiracy-riddled fringe became its center over time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack Bortz, Section 1October 29, 2025 at 1:41 PM

    WGU PG. 165

    1. Kant defined maturity as the "ability to think for oneself."
    2. Education, travel, and work all share the common purpose to "undercut the dogmatism of the worldviews into which we are born, to learn how people and places differ as well as what they share in common, to build a backbone for the freedom we need in order to think against the grain."
    3. You are not grown-up if you have rejected compromise. Growing up "requires recognizing the gap between is and ought while trying to preserve both."

    ReplyDelete
  3. In reading the prologue of SSHM, I could not help but be reminded of the suicide that occurred in the library around this time last year. John Kaag claims that William James' philosophy can save lives, but I do not think it can save everyone. I believe that philosophy is subjective, and few people have the exact same one. James believed that thinking life was worth living would help it to be true. This could resonate with a lot of people, but definitely not everyone. Maybe some people have already tried to believe that life is worth living, but still find themselves stuck in their own sick souls. Who knows if Steven Rose or Serenity Birdsong could have been saved by William James' philosophy? I think it is very optimistic to think so and downplays their experiences. However, I do think the author's intentions are good in trying to save someone who finds themself in a place like he once was, or that William James himself was in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bella York, Section #3October 30, 2025 at 9:23 AM

      I tend to agree. There is no one-size-fits-all personal philosophy. In my bedroom, I have a poster that shows the average number of months in a person's life, with the number I have lived filled in. I find this motivating. Remembering my mortality convicts me to live intentionally. My boyfriend however, finds this depressing. That's fine. Not all of us have to have the same motivators.

      Delete
    2. I also find motivation in remembering my own mortality. I like that latin term "Memento Mori", remember you will die. Ever since I adopted the "YOLO" mentality I seem to have gotten a little further in life.

      Delete
  4. Section #1
    Discussion Question: "You must take your education into your own hands as soon as possible." Did you? How?

    I probably didn't fully take charge of my education when I was in my formative years. However, I learned a lot through reading and watching YouTube. (I know the latter method might have been fairly low effort). The books and videos I would watch changed as I wanted to learn new things. When I was young, I wanted to be a paleontologist so I read books about dinosaurs and watched shows like Dino Dan. When I knew I wanted to be a writer, I read even more fiction books and articles online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Antonella Comaschi-Section 3
      I agree, I didn't take charge of my education in my formative year, aside from the books I would read over topics I was interested in. Growing up in public schools contributed to this lack of imitative; the pursuit of further education was neither taught nor encouraged to the students.

      Delete
  5. Section #1
    Discussion Question: Do you love books and reading?

    I absolutely love to read. The first book series to really grab me was Harry Potter. After that, I read at least ten books a year. I like the feeling of accomplishment after you finish a book, but also how the stories affect me as I read them. Last year, my senior year, I read almost constantly. Since I didn't have many stressful classes, I was able to read content-heavy books like The Stand and Atlas Shrugged. I also read much of the Hyperion Cantos and almost all of R.F. Kuang's works. I'm excited for next semester because I'm planning my class schedule to not be so packed during the day. I'll have enough time to read again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Section #1
    Discussion Questions: Does group travel "preclude real encounters" with a place?

    I think it sometimes could get in the way of truly experiencing a place. From my experience, I have definitely seen how traveling with multiple people can make a trip feel scripted or burdensome. For example, me and my friends went to Busch Gardens one year during a band trip (the theme park). While we did have a lot of fun, everyone was focused on staying together as a group and making sure everyone did what they wanted to do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bella York, Section #3October 30, 2025 at 9:28 AM

    This discussion reminds me of people's varying reasons for religious belief. I need solid logic, reasoning, and historical fact to support my beliefs. Others have an innate faith. Sometimes I envy those who don't wrestle with belief. Thankfully, I've reached a well-researched and thought out system of belief inside my religious context.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bella York, Section #3October 30, 2025 at 9:34 AM

    Has your educational experience so far broken or furthered your "urge to explore the world"? Do you still "desire to learn"?

    Being homeschooled and encouraged to follow my interests, I truly love learning. I didn't have to worry about grades, unclear assignments, or forcing myself to learn. So far, the structured atmosphere of University has somewhat extinguished this curiosity. There's a lot of pressure to maintain near-perfect grades. If I don't, I will lose my scholarship. Even my favorite discipline, economics, has become a chore. I'm not sure how to get out of this rut, other than doing the bare minimum to succeed, while attempting to learn on the way. I'm working towards having better classes/schedule next semester.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What are some other signs of being grown-up, besides the ability to think for yourself? 123
    In my opinion being a "grown-up" isn't really established by checking all the boxes on a checklist. I also find that a lot of the signs I could think of that would indicate being grown up I have found lacking in people that are considered "Grown-up"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Has your educational experience so far broken or furthered your "urge to explore the world"? Do you still "desire to learn"? 127
    I feel very blessed that my educational experience so far has fostered my desire to learn. On the flip side I do feel that there hasn't been a huge urgency in the halls of academia to explore the world, which may be a twinge hopelessly optimistic, I feel would open many peoples eyes to problems and better yet solutions they may have never considered.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Section 2

    5. What is the message of Rousseau's Emile?

    The thesis of Emile is that raising a child ‘right’ will bring about societal and individual freedom, peace, unity, and equality in ways which he thought the then-current civilization structures (and, by extension, modern ones) could never attain. His beliefs regarding child raising heavily talked about exposure: he believed that, seemingly paradoxically, providing a child with a tutor who curates every aspect of the child’s life (in an effort to present every moral pursuit with immediate reward or punishment according to Rousseau’s moral standards) would then allow the child to grow up freer of a thinker than other children.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Philopateer Iskndar #3October 30, 2025 at 1:45 PM

    1.I think another sign of growing up is maybe seeing things that you thought of in one way would later change your opinion of

    2.When it comes to loving the world unless you actually did something negative to it then why take responsibility for all that is going on if you did it would drive you nuts

    3.Yes i think the legal age of maturity should also reflect the level of brain maturity since what you mean a 18 year can go to war but not drink what.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Has your educational experience so far broken or furthered your "urge to explore the world"? Do you still "desire to learn"? 127
    In some ways yes, and in some ways no. I used to love math, but since I have been in the calculus from hell this semester, that has been stifled. On the contrary, I have found that I am actually really interested in philosophy and I love my World Religions class. I also feel that i'm right where I'm supposed to be when I'm in all of my aviation classes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I used to love science and math, but as it got more complicated, I realized that I really didn't want to continue in that. However, MTSU's Aerospace program is phenomenal. I am very interested and want to learn more about flying. Overall, I still desire to learn, but I no longer desire to learn about everything. Instead, I have chosen to focus on the things I love doing.

      Delete
  14. Are you good at accepting compromise? Are the adults in your life?

    I think I am very good at accepting compromise. I understand that I can't be the only one who benefits from situations. I think being able to compromise is vital to our society, because if nobody can, then nothing will get done. We can't please everybody, and we can't have everything we want. Instead, we have to find a middle ground. One where both sides benefit from the same agreement. Unfortunately, I do know some adults who do not share this mindset. They would rather halt a project than admit "defeat." I'm not sure why they are like this, but I have seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. 1. Kant’s definition of maturity:
    Immanuel Kant defined maturity (or enlightenment) as the ability to think for oneself without guidance from another. In his essay “What Is Enlightenment?” (1784), he wrote that maturity is “man’s emergence from his self-imposed immaturity,” meaning the courage to use one’s own understanding and reason.

    2. Common purpose of education, travel, and work:
    Ideally, all three, education, travel, and work, serve the same purpose: to develop one’s independence, understanding, and judgment. They expand a person’s experience, reasoning, and ability to act freely and responsibly in the world.

    3. You’re not grown-up if you’ve not rejected what:
    According to Kant, you’re not truly grown-up if you haven’t rejected intellectual dependence that is, the habit of letting others think for you, such as authorities, traditions, or institutions. Maturity requires rejecting blind obedience and choosing to think and decide for yourself.

    ReplyDelete