Johnathane Saleh Section #2
From a young age, most people are taught a simple formula for living well: set goals, work hard, achieve them, and then move on to the next one. That is how I was personally raised. There is always something to achieve, always a next goal, always something to work towards. Whether it involves getting good grades (my parents specifically targeted this), making a sports team, getting into college, or building a career, achievement is viewed as the main reason to be fulfilled and feel like your life has meaning, and honestly, at first, this idea makes total sense. Accomplishments feel rewarding, and they can provide a sense of progress and productivity. However, Kieran Setiya argues that relying too heavily on achievement to define a meaningful life is incomplete and can even lead to dissatisfaction. This is a concept that I personally struggle with. I often define my sense of self-worth and value from what I can achieve. A good day is a productive day, and a bad day is one where I get nothing done. But days that might feel “unproductive” need not be considered bad. In reality, even though it may seem like I wasted valuable time doing nothing, relaxing and taking a step back might be the best possible action during a stressful or busy time. You cannot keep performing at 110% percent effort all the time. Burnout and fatigue start overshadowing your hard work.
In Life Is Hard, Setiya argues that achievements are inherently temporary. When a goal is reached, the sense of satisfaction that follows does not last very long. After a short time, attention shifts to the next objective, and the cycle begins again. This creates a pattern where happiness is always tied to the future rather than the present. How can you enjoy the moment when you are always thinking about the next one?! This is really hard for me because I always need to be reminded that I am not in a race of achievements. There is no moment like the present, and sometimes you need to really sulk in the moment. Many people think they will feel fulfilled once they reach a certain milestone, but when that moment arrives, the feeling is often weaker or shorter-lived than expected. Instead of lasting satisfaction, there is often a sense that something is still missing. For example, and I am sure many of you can relate: college. As you all know, we are approaching finals week, and stress is at an all-time high. I keep thinking to myself, “Wow, I cannot wait for finals to be over; I’ll finally be free.” That mindset, however, can impede me from seeing the blessings that I have right now. Yes, school is stressful, and yes, summer is right around the corner, but I am lucky to even have the choice to stress about school. There are lots of kids my age who were not fortunate enough to study at a higher level like I was. Yes, the stress is exhausting, but it is honestly beautiful that I GET to have problems like this. How would I see how blessed I am if I am constantly thinking about my next goal, my next achievement?
This YouTube clip I found from Steve Harvey discusses how changing the way you think can help you realize just how lucky you are. Achieving goals is great but the journey is where key moments are made.
An achievement-focused mindset can also create pressure and anxiety. When meaning is tied to success, failure can feel much more significant. It is no longer just a setback but something that threatens a person’s sense of purpose or worth. This can be absolutely detrimental to a person’s mental health. There have been many times in my life when I merged my failures and self-worth, and it led me down a very depressive path. This can lead to constant comparison with others and ongoing self-evaluation. Even when things are going well, there is often a feeling that it is not enough, since there is always another level to reach or another goal to pursue. Instead of enjoying progress, people can become trapped in a cycle of striving without satisfaction. Setiya does not argue that goals should be abandoned, but he suggests that they should not be the foundation of a meaningful life. To explain this, he introduces the concept of “atelic activities,” which lack a final endpoint. These include talking with friends, listening to music, walking without a specific destination, and reading for enjoyment. The value of these activities does not come from what they lead to, but from the experience itself as it unfolds. For the past couple of weeks, I have been trying to engage in atelic activities to boost my mental health, and the crazy thing is: they help tremendously. One of my all-time favorite ways to get my mind off the future and focus on the now is bowling. I love to bowl; it is extremely fun and competitive. When I am bowling with my friends, I am not concerned with what goal I have to achieve or what’s next on my to-do list; I am just present in the moment. The sound of the ball hitting the pins, my friends' laughter, and the music in the background all helped me create a memory that will last a lifetime.
From a personal perspective, this idea is convincing because it helps explain why people can feel unfulfilled even after reaching their goals. It shows that the issue is not simply a lack of success, but a misunderstanding of what creates meaning. I really want to be a doctor, and sometimes I’ll find myself saying, “ I will finally be happy when I become a doctor.” While achieving my dream of being a doctor could give me happiness and a sense of fulfillment, it will not last. Yes, I will achieve my career dream, but then what? What do I do now? Where should I head? If all I can think about is achieving one goal for happiness, I will never be truly happy. However, it would not make sense to completely reject achievement. Goals can provide direction, motivation, and opportunities for growth. They can also lead to real improvements in a person’s life. The key point is that they should not be the only source of meaning.
Achievement can still play an important role, but it is not enough on its own. A life built entirely around goals can become exhausting and unsatisfying. By recognizing the value of activities without an endpoint, it becomes possible to find meaning in a more stable, lasting way. In a world that often emphasizes productivity and success above everything else, this perspective offers a useful and necessary balance. To conclude, I want to leave you with a challenge. Next time you start doubting yourself or feel like you are not enough, go on a walk. Play a game. Hang out with friends. Afterward, write down your favorite moments from said activity and watch how much better you will feel.
This interview perfectly summarizes Setiya's book and highlights important life topics such as how to deal with grief through philosophy. It is quite interesting and definitely changed my perspective.
The key, I think, is to have goals but wear them lightly enough so that they don't hold your present hostage to a remote future. As the panda (or Eleanor Roosevelt) said: “Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.”
ReplyDelete