The beginning of this chapter starts off with author John Kaag reflecting on a walk he had, and he talks about how he saw a sign that read “LIFE IS WORTH LIVING” at the bottom of the Brooklyn bridge (pg. 169). The sign prompted Kaag into thinking about some things- if life’s worth is so evident- why is there a need to declare it? Kaag believes that William James might have rephrased the sign to say, “LIFE IS WORTH LIVING-MAYBE?” (Pg. 171). He also mentions how James one said, “No man is educated who has never dialed with the thought of suicide” (pg.170). To me, I think this point is a bit extreme, although I think I understand where he might be coming from. I personally don’t believe you have to dial with the thought of suicide to be educated, I think if you have, you are more likely to understand and be able to help someone going through those feelings currently a lot better, which I guess can be seen as some form of education or knowledge. For example, if you’ve never had those feelings before, you’re not going to be able to understand somebody else that is or does. But if you have, you are more likely to understand those feelings and offer help. Also, I think the phrase “contemplated suicide” is often misinterpreted. Contemplated means “to think about” and I think that it’s possible to think about suicide but not actually have the desire or drive to go through with it. I’m a pretty happy human being currently, but there was a time when it crossed my mind often, however I never actually felt like I was going to and deep down I knew I didn’t want to. Here is some tips William James has for surviving depression
Kaag also mentions how “People can choose what to focus on—what to see and what to overlook—which can shape how life feels” and I think that has a lot of truth to it. I’ve found in my life that if you tend to focus on the negatives and bad things in life, then the world is going to seem like a messed-up place and life might not be pleasurable to you. If you try to focus on the positive and good things in life, the world doesn’t seem like too bad of a place. Kaag includes a Williams James quote that reads, “the art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook” (Pg. 173)
The world is full of uncertainty and variations, and it’s this unpredictability that allows for growth, adaptation, and meaning. I think If we had 100% certainty about everything, there would be no opportunity for development, and there would be such thing as a positive or a negative outlook on various things in the world, it would just be “this is the way it is, and this is the only way it is.” I love living on the idea of chance and hope. I don’t think I would ever want to know what the future holds, I would much rather experience it as it comes and goes. For example, I would not want to know what my fate is. I understand one day will be my last day, but I don’t want to know when or how I die. William James quoted “No fact in human nature is more characteristic, than its willingness to live on a chance. The existence of the chance makes the difference between a life of which the keynote is resignation and a life in which the keynote is hope,” (pg.174). Here is a link to a Harvard blog on why hope matters.
William James “model of the self” is also mentioned is this chapter and it is broken down into three categories. First is – the material self, which is your body and possessions. In today’s world that could be the car you drive, the house you live in, the clothes you wear, etc. The second one is – social self. This is the way you are perceived by other people, and how you are recognized by others such friends, family, and loved ones. The third one is- the spiritual self, which is the most expansive and enduring. This has to do with intellectual, moral, and religious aspirations. (information from pages 175-177)
Some more facts and takeaways from this chapter
· Poet Walt Whitman, admired by James, found religious awe in everyday life- like riding a ferry across the East River
· Most people overlook the divinity and beauty in the ordinary
· For James and Whitman, wonder is always accessible- even in mundane experiences
· James defines religious feeling not by doctrine but by a state of openness, humility, and surrender to what might be.
· His exploration into the unseen led him to experiments with psychotropic drugs
· After James lost his father and his son, he visited a medium by the name of Leonora Piper in hope of being able to contact them spiritually. (pg. 177)
· The American Society for Psychical Research was founded in 1885 in Boston, with its mission being to investigate all things “Supernormal” (pg. 178)
· James defines religious feeling not by doctrine but by a state of openness, humility, and surrender to what might be.
More links relevant to chapter
https://aeon.co/essays/is-life-worth-living-the-pragmatic-maybe-of-william-james
https://philife.nd.edu/james-the-will-to-believe-take-a-leap-of-faith/
https://godandgoodlife.nd.edu/resource/the-will-to-believe-james/
https://www.informationphilosopher.com/solutions/philosophers/james/question_of_free_will.html
Discussion questions
Do you agree with William James that one must contemplate suicide in order to be educated?
If you could choose to know your future and fate, and not have to rely on hope, what would you do?



"dial with the thought of suicide" - deal, you mean? Educated people understand that life is terminable as well as finite, even if they never actually contemplate self-termination. That must be what WJ meant, similar to Camus's famous statement that the ultimate philosophical question is whether life is worth living or not. "Maybe" is a suitably pragmatic/pluralistic response that refuses to dismiss the ultimate question but invites us all to resolve it for ourselves.
ReplyDeleteThose links need to be embedded, not listed at the end.