Up@dawn 2.0 (blogger)

Delight Springs

Monday, October 27, 2025

“GenZ is worse than you think”

Is it?

"…Figures like Charlie Kirk and Ben Shapiro often advise young people to become Christian, get married, and have kids young. Many, including myself, object to such a narrow vision of happiness, but they aren't wrong about having connection, moral framework, and responsibilities, as footholds in life. Too many of Gen Z have fallen into a life with little connection or responsibility to the outside world because it's no longer a basic requirement to survive. And by responsibility, I don't mean feeling pressure to solve the big issues like climate change, I mean a life of small responsibilities, of things that will not save the world. Driving our friends to the airport instead of letting them Uber. Helping a neighbor carry groceries. Showing up to a nephew's sports practice. Starting a garden to tend to. Little by little we can find structures for our freedom that enable our joy and build a life of them."

Clare Ashcraft writes The Mestiza where she makes observations about identity, psychology, and culture. She is a proud Ohioan.

https://open.substack.com/pub/therepublicofletters/p/gen-z-is-worse-than-you-think?r=35ogp&utm_medium=ios

2 comments:

  1. Mackenzie Harris, section 2

    I would say I have to agree with this post because many people now just spend their time on their phones instead of going out and giving their life purpose and meaning. Ever since I realized my screen time was too high, I put my phone down and started doing things that I enjoyed without involving my phone, or even simple things like sitting outside or deep cleaning my apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morgan Conner, Section 3October 28, 2025 at 2:40 PM

    I would say I both agree and disagree with this post. I agree with the reality of growing and maturing into a politically-polarized society as someone who was born on the outskirts/endpieces of Obama-era civility and tact. I do think that the internet and social media are slowly melting society into a soup of brain rot, influencer-driven political ideologies, and therapy speak which has made (some, not all of) us perpetual victims to the inability to not be comfortable with being uncomfortable. However, I have to disagree with internet communities leading to us becoming disembodied individuals. I think internet communities can be quite beneficial for teenagers to find people who they can bond with and connect to, especially if they are parts of marginalized communities or in rural areas. I'm not one to declare that "internet is bad", but I do say that it should have heavier restrictions for children.

    ReplyDelete