LAST CALL: conclude all remaining midterm report presentations today, so we can commence final report presentations (sign up now... or I'll assign a date/topic).
1. After Plato, the next philosopher to turn his attention to the details of child-rearing was who?
2. What's the first step of human reason, according to Kant?
3. If we have hope for moral progress, what do we want for the next generation?
4. What was Orwell's nightmare?
5. What "perfidious reversal leaves us permanently confused"?
6. What are you committed to, if you're committed to Enlightenment?
7. What is freedom, according to Rousseau and Kant?
5. What "perfidious reversal leaves us permanently confused"?
6. What are you committed to, if you're committed to Enlightenment?
7. What is freedom, according to Rousseau and Kant?
8. What's the key to whether or not we grow up?
==
Discussion Questions
WGU
WGU
- Should philosophers pay more attention to child-rearing and parenting? 36
- What do you think Cicero meant by saying that philosophy is learning to die?
- Do you feel fully empowered to "choose your life's journey"? If not, what obstacles prevent that? 37
- In what ways do you think your parents' occupations influence the number of choices you'll be able to make in your life?
- If you've read 1984 and Brave New World, which do you find the more "seductive dystopia"? 39
- Are we confused about toys and dreams? 40
- Do others make the most important decisions for you? 41
- Do you "make a regular appointment with your body"? 42
- Do you trust anyone over 30? 45
- Is it "reasonable to expect justice and joy"? 49
- Are you "committed to Enlightenment"? 51
- Do the passions for glory and luxury make us wicked and miserable? 53
- What does it mean to say there are no atheists in foxholes? Is it true? 54
- Was Rousseau right about inequality and private property? 55
- Should philosophy be taught to children, so as to become thinking adults? 57
- Should children "yield to the commands of other people"? 61
- Should parents "let the child wail"?
- Are Rousseau and Kant right about the true definition of freedom? 62
- Is Rousseau right about desire? 65
- Did Rousseau's abandonment of his children discredit his thoughts on child-rearing? 69 Or show him to be a hypocrite for saying no task in the world is more important than raising a child properly? 72
Regarding our conversation on October 21st
ReplyDeleteIn some ways, I do feel that free will puts a burden on me. I have an obligation to the people who worked hard so that I can have freedom, prosperity, education, and political rights. My parents’ sacrifice to educate me, provide for me, teach me life skills, and knowledge (including philosophical concepts) demands some effort from my part. Similarly, knowing that my options lessen as I make decisions is both terrifying and comforting. Terrifying, because what if I made the wrong decision? Comforting, because having infinite choices is also intimidating.
I totally see where you are coming from here. One thing that helped me was when I stopped trying to live for people I did not like or agree with. I made a new rule for life, which was if I was going to make a decision, it had to make sense to me and if it did not make sense to others that was okay for the most part. Obviously, there are exceptions! The truth is, I really do not think there are "wrong" choices, only choices that set you back a little from your goals. You can always pivot and move forward!
DeleteSection #1
DeleteI've found it difficult to individualize myself as an adult, as I've usually referred to my parents in decision making. Now, though I do ask for their advice, it's mostly on me to make choices about my life. One of the things I've found most difficult recently is balancing school with work and my social life. Another one is what I'm going to choose as my minor. My parents can't really direct me on these things because they are all dependent on what I want. The only thing they can give their input on is if they think I'm doing too much (something they repeatedly check up on, fortunately). College is nothing like high school, you choose to be there and you choose what you do. So I've experience some of the regrets and joys of free will since the beginning of the semester.
Regarding our conversation on October 21st
ReplyDeleteI wonder what connections gender norms and transgenderism share. If gender norms were less rigid, would anyone feel the need to change their gender? I’ve even heard the argument that transgenderism is inherently sexist. Implying that one must conform to gender norms, to the point of changing one’s gender, it enforces those traditional norms. What do you all think about this?
Given the fact that I am not transgender myself and do not understand what it is like, I have chosen to be completely open to anything regarding this specifically. Transgender people have every right to express their gender in whatever way they are most comfortable with! To attempt to but people in a box who do not want to be in a box is insane to me, but sadly this is often done in our world. Gender norms are a societal construct, and if people choose to conform to them and feel comfortable doing so, I have no issue with that. It is when people try to force others to conform who do not want to that really becomes a problem. To try and limit the self-expression of someone else because they do not fit into supposed societal norms does not make sense to me.
DeleteI totally agree. Everyone should have the right to express themselves however they wish, provided it is legal.
DeleteYou bring up an interesting point about the decision of whether or not to conform to traditional gender norms. When I was a young girl, I wanted nothing to do with "girly" things because I wanted to be taken seriously by others. While I still am unconventional, I don't mind appearing feminine now. I feel like in an attempt to expand gender norms (specifically female ones), we've alienated those who do want to conform to any degree. In the end, I want to be an assertive woman, married with kids, have a successful career, and not be scared to dress femininely.
Getting off my soapbox, I definitely agree with you and wish it were a less controversial issue so that open discussion could be had about it.
WGU Discussion Questions:
ReplyDeleteDo others make the most important decisions for you?
This is an interesting question. Of course, I cannot control the world that I live in and what businesspeople and politicians are up to and deciding for me. That is why I believe it is incredibly important to take control of the things you can in life. Not to be a control freak, but instead to create the best possible environment for others and yourself. Perhaps I am a bit stoic here. I would love to control what oil companies are doing to the planet, but at this point in life that is not possible. I can work towards that goal, but in the meantime the best thing for me to do is support the companies I agree with and ignore the ones that I do not. That is where decisions come in. If a company employs unethical business practices, I do not have to support them. I can likely get whatever I need elsewhere. I cannot control their choice to treat others horribly, but I can control my choice to not stand for it. That is my decision reacting to their decision. If my favorite guitarist is exposed for being a horrible person, I will not listen to them. The list of examples goes on and on. And for those who tell me to separate the art from the artist, I do not choose to. We have plenty of choice in life if you look for it and use it! I could be wrong, of course.
I agree. I may not be able to control all of my circumstances, but I can control what decisions I make to get my desired outcome. I usually make most of my decisions for myself, but there are sometimes when other people have to make decisions for me. For example, since I'm a pilot, I will have to follow other people's decisions. When going into controlled airspace, I can't just do what I want; that would be dangerous. So, in some instances, I do have to surrender my free will in order to create a better and safer area for everyone. I understand that this isn't actually an important decision that directly affects me, but the idea is there.
DeleteSection #1
ReplyDeleteWGU
In what ways do you think your parents' occupations influence the number of choices you'll be able to make in your life?
My parents are both accountants and decently well off. While they encourage me to live frugally, I'd say I have plenty of choices. Career wise though they think it heavily relates to genetics. Each career path I have considered when I was younger and am now pursuing they bring up a time when they were considering that career or a relative that is currently in that career.
Do the passions for glory and luxury make us wicked and miserable? 53
Passions for luxury yes. Passions for glory can make you miserable. When it comes to pursuing more luxuries and having luxuries that cause strife I agree with the book. Those that do have them get suffering from them and those that don't and want suffer from desire. Glory can make you miserable if you are very passionate for it and can't achieve it, but I don't think a passion for glory is necessarily a bad thing. I can see the argument that it puts some above others. I think competition is good for society but I am not going to disagree with anyone that thinks it can make people wicked. I thinks passions as a whole are good as they motivate people throughout their lives. While some can be harmful I think the idea of a passion is generally has a positive outcome on lives.
Was Rousseau right about inequality and private property? 55
I do not think inequality and private property are the source of all woes. I think many woes when traced back to their cause would result in something other than private property and inequality. While I could see how a majority could trace back to inequality I think a substantial amount won't to that or private property.
Section #1
ReplyDeleteDiscussion Question: In what ways do you think your parents' occupations influence the number of choices you'll be able to make in your life?
One of the ways is monetary. Neither of my parents make much and I came to MTSU because it was likely the only place where I'd get a full ride. I'm grateful I did, and I know I still lucked out anyways because MTSU is a good school. I knew that I wouldn't be able to go to Vanderbilt or Belmont or Lipscomb University without taking on large loans that neither me nor my family could pay off. And because both of my parents do work, I knew that I needed to be there for my younger siblings.
That being said, I don't think my parents look to me as an income or as an extension of them as parents. Over the summer, I got a new job that pays pretty well for being fresh out of high school. Whenever I would talk about how much I liked it, my dad would always confirm that I was still going to college. He said that, "you don't want to work there for the rest of your life." Which is true-- I don't. Despite what my manager tries to convince me of. So in that sense, I feel a responsibility to complete college and look for a job in my field-- as part of my "career plan". In a way, it feels like my parents are expecting me to rise above them and-- sometimes-- leave them behind.
Section #1
ReplyDeleteDiscussion Question: Do you "make a regular appointment with your body"?
To be honest, I tend to neglect this a lot. Between driving to and from school, going to classes, practicing, working, attending my siblings' events and doing homework, I feel like that's one of the last things on my mind. I have made some progress, at least-- keeping my room and car clean, going to the dentist and not staying up too late.
But even this past weekend, my first weekend off from work, I still went to a lot of places. And then when I got home, I didn't necessarily "make an appointment." It was more like lazing about all day watching YouTube or movies. I even took yesterday off (mostly to get this reading done) and I still didn't take the time to rejuvenate.
I guess that's why it's called "making an appointment"-- you allocate time in your day TO SPECIFICALLY make time for yourself and your body.
I think anybody who has a child should focus on raising their child just ignoring them results with the kid having a lot of struglles some that might be really hard to fix in the future.
ReplyDeleteWith me when it come to picking my life journey the obstacles is that i don't really know what i truly want and I don't know what are the first steps to picking what i want
i think with teaching anything to children it should be really simple and be the basic for them to grow up to be a good adult.
Antonella Comaschi- Section 3
DeleteI agree that we should teach children the basics that will allow them to grow into good adults, but I don't agree that it should be very simple. I do understand that you must simplify topics for children based on their age, but I believe once they are old enough to learn about more complex topics they should. This allows them to grow up to be good, capable, and intelligent adults.
Section 2
ReplyDelete3. If we have hope for moral progress, what do we want for the next generation?
Though I do not believe in moral “progress”, since I see morality as a subjective matter and not one with truth or a “right” or “wrong” direction, I do hold moral perspectives which I hope to proliferate and do believe in the ability for societies to alter their moral grounding (perhaps moral “change” rather than progress).
In future generations, I would hope for a greater and less restrictive application of empathy, particularly one that permits peace and respect among humans (even and especially those who we vehemently disagree with ideologically or who have caused us harm directly or indirectly), allowing us to engage in civil conversation and genuinely make attempts to listen before making assumptions, generalizing, and vilifying a group, and also among other forms of life and perhaps non-life. On the second matter, I believe it is a premature decision on the part of the scientific community and human society as a whole to be as dismissive as we are about the perceptive and emotive capacities of non-humans. I am not merely speaking of dogs, cows, or even just vertebrates, because there is already growing support and sentiment for those groups (which I would love to see expanded, but I focus more on those with fewer supporters currently). The organisms I mean are often the most stigmatized (insects and their relatives) or regarded as too simple to feel or experience (plants and many, many others). We often make assumptions that, because of biological differences between organisms, they must be incapable of suffering, pain, or joy, though 1, we only seem to continue acquiring knowledge to refute this claim, and 2, regardless of the verifiability of their consciousness, I would much rather play it safe and assume that they can feel in order to avoid causing unnecessary suffering. On non-living things, I also think we are too restrictive of the notion of consciousness or feeling beyond even life, where we are infinitely more reluctant to attribute such capacities, even as a precaution, to such entities.
These may be bold goals, owing to the amount that each concept is rooted firmly in modern society (and history), and I do not expect any to be realized to the extent I wish to see them, but I do not doubt my ability to make an impact, however small, towards these aspirations.
To add on to this, it greatly saddens me that much of humanity’s drive to feel important and special in the universe is achieved by putting down the significance of others (and by others, I mean non-humans). I sometimes see someone try to argue for a more equal view of humans and non-humans, and have also heard many replies to the affect of ‘but I do not want humans to seem as lowly as to be comparable to [insert entity of focus]’, and I see this as (at least for my own argument, I won’t claim to know the intent of others who pose this opinion) a great misinterpretation: it has nothing to do with making humans less important, but everything to do with ending the marginalization of others.
DeleteIn what ways do you think your parents' occupations influence the number of choices you'll be able to make in your life?
ReplyDeleteI think my parents' occupations definitely influenced the number of choices I was and will be able to make in my life. My family is well off. We can't afford extravagant things every day, but we still can buy things that we don't need and go on a lot of trips. In terms of my college education, my parents offered to help me pay for all of my college as a loan, as long as I paid them back. While they offered to pay, I couldn't pick any school. It still had to be reasonable, so that's how I ended up at MTSU. So their occupations definitely affected some of my decisions, but a lot of them still depended on me.