Up@dawn 2.0 (blogger)

Delight Springs

Thursday, April 30, 2026

SSHM Chapter 2, From My Eyes

 Christopher Verdin 



Is life truly to suffer? Chapter 2 of Sick Souls, Healthy Minds by John Kaag speaks to the common and shared experience of suffering among all living things. Like a ship rocking in the waves, suffering is inevitable. I myself am an optimist. I desire to see the tiny blessings within the roughest of storms. James knew of people who would have viewed this as a "sham" (SSHM). James believes that those who believe this are in a consistent state of anhedonia. For those who want to know how to pronounce this word, it's an-hee-dow-nee-ah. Anhedonia is simply the inability to feel pleasure.

Now I am sure this is sounding like a really thought out and technical blog post about the themes of this chapter. But just for fun, I think I will be looser with my writing. I will take what some may consider suffering (writing a long winded assignment), and turn it into something pleasurable (being creative and true to who I am as a person.) I hope that is ok...

Suffering is obviously inevitable. I have definitely suffered in my life. I have at one point experienced this state of anhedonia. I think it is often the case where you or someone you know is rattled with constant fear, confusion, anger, anxiety, shame, depression, and pain. My life has been a reflection of what Kaag writes, "suffering is not the exception but the rule." (SSHM Pg. 43) And though I don't fully believe in the principles of macro-evolution, James is right when he connects all living things through the inevitable suffering of Darwin's survival of the fittest.

But as I mentioned previously, I am an optimist. I believe there is always something good to be acknowledged through the rough waters of life. For example, if I get a flat tire while on my way to work, I would firstly think about how I would be late to work. But, I then acknowledge the blessings of my circumstances. I have a job. I have a car. I have roadside assistance covered. I am not stuck here. Now, I do disagree with the premise, at least in my lived experience, that optimists tend to overlook suffering. I can and have fully acknowledged the suffering I have been through. But instead of dwelling in my past, in that suffering, I can look to the future knowing that without suffering, I would not be the person I am today. "And which of you by worrying can add a single day to his life's span?" (Mathew 6:27)




I will say that I can think of the world in this way because I have been "born again". For me, the definition is a little different than how I believe William James would describe it. James however believes that to be able to get past this feeling of anhedonia, being reborn is a necessary and a radical transformation that needs to occur in one's life. (SSHM Pg 44) For some, this can look like reaching the lowest point, possibly close to death, and realizing the only thing you can do now is go higher. It is the only reasonable and obtainable choice. I personally believe that being born again is a choice. It is something that a person has to reach for in order to obtain. John Kaag explains in this chapter an example of how he may understand this rebirth (SSHM Pg 44-46), but I would like to use mine as an example. I find that being born again is a very religious term that within this book has been turned secular. For me, my rebirth was accepting Jesus as the leader of my life, following him, forsaking my flesh, and producing the fruit of the gift of this new life. I, like mentioned before, was at a very low point in my life (as most of those who turn to faith have been). When I turned to Jesus, which was the choice I and all are provided, I was radically changed. My heart of stone was removed and in its place a heart of flesh was placed. I believe this change was supernatural. James, though later in life was deep into the supernatural workings of the world, would credit his rebirth through a much more personal and natural lens. James, in 1870 was reborn when he read part of the work of Renouvier speaking to the scientific nature that freewill possesses.(SSHM Pg 47) It is to my understanding that the issue of freewill was a plaguing question on James' mind through his life. After reading Renouvier, he decided that his first act of freewill was to believe in freewill. And from there, his life was transformed. (SSHM Pg 49) 

After James was transformed by this act of free will and born again, his life genuinely started moving in the right direction. He got back into the vocations he loved, he had a brighter outlook on life (SSHM Pg 49-51). Unlike James, I believe that to be born again is final. Being born again is an actual change that can not be undone. James however believes that you can die again after being reborn but it is to your advantage to be born a third time, or even as many times as necessary. James went through many struggles, ups and downs in his journey of rebirth, as most of us do (SSHM Pg 51-52). One such struggle was coming to the understanding that the rational decision to believe in freewill may not be so rational afterall. James comes to the conclusion that rational decisions are not based in mere fact and reason, but in our emotions, or lived experience which everyone differs on. Therefore, what may seem rational to us may not actually be a rational thing (SSHM Pg 52-55).



For me, and maybe you would agree, following Jesus may not seem like the most rational decision (at first). To believe that there is a God who cares enough about us that He would sacrifice Himself for the sins we have committed honestly sounds ludicrous. But my belief and faith in this possibility is not to the disadvantage of me or those around me. My belief provides me a sense of belonging, of joy, of love, and peace. It is to my advantage that I believe in what may be unbelievable. In the same way that I put my faith in God, James uses a possibly irrational decision to his benefit when interacting with his future wife Alice. James himself did not believe in the possibility that he could be loved, like I didn't believe that Jesus wouldn't love me as much as I now know he does. James however would not have known whether this possible relationship with Alice would have even worked out if he had not willed to believe that it was possible. 

I think this is the overall message of this chapter. That if you don't will to believe that something is possible, you will never know if it is. It may not be the most rational decision, but if it holds no harm to you or others to believe, then just do it. There are so many instances where this has applied in my life and I am sure it can apply to yours as well.

Defence of my post:  

 "James believes that those who believe this are in a consistent state of anhedonia." (My words) - This is refering to those who would call what I believe as an optomist a sham. "James, however, knew many intelligent people who thought optimism-and enlightenment for that matter-was a sham". (SSHM Pg.42) Context for this was in the previous sentances. 

"Suffering is obviously inevitable" - This is the case, from my perspective and the perspective of my  faith (Context in which Im writing), because we live in a fallen world. Due to the sin of Adam and Eve in the garden we have separated oursleves from God. We have fallen into a state of sin and suffering based on the actions they, and we, have committed. I would also agree that suffering is a part of life, and not everyone suffers to the same degree as others, and yet it remains true. 

"And though I don't fully believe in the principles of macro-evolution" - For this, I would like to highlight the word "fully" in the sentance. Because of my faith, I don't believe in the maco-evolution of Homo-Sapians as we are today. I should have clarified within my post that I believe all animal evolution is likely correct. 

"I have been "born again"'- My definition of being born again, "I find that being born again is a very religious term that within this book has been turned secular. For me, my rebirth was accepting Jesus as the leader of my life, following him, forsaking my flesh, and producing the fruit of the gift of this new life. I, like mentioned before, was at a very low point in my life (as most of those who turn to faith have been). When I turned to Jesus, which was the choice I and all are provided, I was radically changed. My heart of stone was removed and in its place a heart of flesh was placed. I believe this change was supernatural." (My words) As for William James view, throught he context given in Chapter 2, " being reborn is a necessary and a radical transformation that needs to occur in one's life. (SSHM Pg 44) For some, this can look like reaching the lowest point, possibly close to death, and realizing the only thing you can do now is go higher." (My words)

"being reborn is a necessary and a radical transformation that needs to occur in one's life." - This wording was more or less pulled from the book itself. Whether I believe that James is correct in his wording or not depends on the individual experiencing it. I would say that those who are contemplating suicide as their only way out often need a radical change to "at least bear, the act of living" (SSHM Pg. 4). It may come easier to others though.

"I believe this change was supernatural." - In the instance of my rebirth, I would equate it to a supernatural occurance due to the fact I was struggling to make this change by my own will power. I would gather that those who do not believe in the supernatural would not make the same infrence to the orgins of this rebirth or much of what I have seen or felt as a follower of Christ. I am not sure how much of my lived experience can be challenged when there is no shared belief in a spiritual world.

"I believe that to be born again is final. Being born again is an actual change that can not be undone." - Being born again in a religous sense is diffrent than the secular. For those who claim to have been born again through Christ and who then relapse and choose otherwise have not truely been born again. You can't be a new creature in Christ and then go back to the way you were before. (Just my view).

"that rational decisions are not based in mere fact and reason, but in our emotions," - I would say that it would not be both. What seems rational to me may be irrational to another person even with the same facts. 
 

Questions for Chapter 2 SSHM:

  1. Do you believe that suffering is a consistent issue in your lives?
  2. Do you feel that in any way you have been reborn?
  3. What are current issues that you can solve by willing to believe they can be?

1 comment:

  1. "James believes that those who believe this are in a consistent state of anhedonia"-who believe what, exactly? Not optimists. Maybe some pessimists. Generally he thinks those who look for "blessings" and the bright side DO experience pleasure. The issue is whether they are capable of noticing, and acting to ameliorate, the pain and suffering of others.

    "(being creative and true to who I am as a person.) I hope that is ok..." That was in fact the assignment. That's what a blog post is supposed to be.

    "Suffering is obviously inevitable." - Not obviously, especially not in a world presumed to be guided by an omniscient, omnipotent, omni-benevolent creator. Hence, the philosophical "problem of suffering." Even in the absence of that presumption, the actual degree and extent of suffering are not obviously inevitable. But yes, as a matter of empirical fact suffering is observably universal... but still unevenly and (apparently) randomly distributed.

    "I don't fully believe in the principles of macro-evolution" - meaning what? If by macroevolution you mean species-level evolution (and by microevolution something like antibiotic resistance) , that seems about as firmly established as anything in science. And evolution at the micro-level is generally considered to be directly related to species-level evolution. So it's not clear you can affirm the one but deny the other.

    "I have been "born again". For me, the definition is a little different than how I believe William James would describe it. " Explain. How do you AND he define this?

    "to get past this feeling of anhedonia, being reborn is a necessary and a radical transformation that needs to occur in one's life. " - Is this true though? Don't many anhedonics eventually regain a degree of capacity for pleasure without making a radical transformation? But, define "radical"...

    "I believe this change was supernatural." - Given how many people report similar religiously-sponsored "rebirths", it seems pretty natural for humans to experience conversion (or de-conversion) of one form or another, without essential recourse to something supernatural.

    "I believe that to be born again is final. Being born again is an actual change that can not be undone." - I've seen self-avowed born-agains relapse, multiple times.

    "rational decisions are not based in mere fact and reason, but in our emotions" - not both?

    "if you don't will to believe that something is possible, you will never know if it is. It may not be the most rational decision" - I think James would say that the rationality of a belief is demonstrated (or not) by its being vindicated in one's lived experience, by its being "better for life" etc.

    ReplyDelete