Up@dawn 2.0 (blogger)

Delight Springs

Monday, September 29, 2025

A.I. in School: What It Can and Can’t Do

Do you agree with this college student?:

To the Editor:

Re "Parents, Your Job Has Changed in the A.I. Era," by Jenny Anderson and Rebecca Winthrop (Opinion guest essay, Sept. 12):

Originality is rare, and creativity is scarce, particularly in academic settings. Where has all the ingenuity gone these days? It is certainly no longer at the forefront of some students' minds. Our ability to think critically and independently and form well-reasoned opinions is in jeopardy, and the main culprit behind this is artificial intelligence.

Without adequate regulation and oversight from our education system, A.I. will be the downfall of many students, if it hasn't been already. As a college student, I understand and share similar concerns as parents regarding the use of A.I.

Critical thinking was already on the decline before the emergence of A.I. tools, but their arrival has accelerated this existing trend. A.I. is a helpful grammar tool at best, but it should be used sparingly.

Overreliance on this technology for decision-making will reduce trust and confidence in one's judgment, potentially limiting younger students' capacity to think creatively, critically and independently.


—Alexa Rose Pocillo, U of Maine


https://www.nytimes.com/2025/09/28/opinion/ai-school.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

1 comment:

  1. If the school system intends to overload students with work that holds no inherent value to their education, career, or well-being, then it is inevitable that students will retaliate by utilizing A.I. on assignments. I don't think the use of A.I in the classroom is beneficial, but I don't think it would be correct to put the blame on students. It is my belief that the problem stems directly from the system itself and the solution of the "A.I. in schools" problem would involve a reform of the American school system.

    ReplyDelete