Nearly every student clutches a phone in one hand as they traverse the University of Central Florida campus, even while walking in groups. Laptops and tablets are lunchtime companions, and earbuds and headphones are routine accessories. While waiting for class to start, many students sit in silence, drawn into their devices…
https://www.nytimes.com/2025/09/29/well/mind/phone-screen-social-media-college-club-reconnect.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare
Addison Baird Section 2
ReplyDeleteI think that this reconnect project is interesting and empowering. I hate to admit this, but the thought of someone taking away my phone for one of these meetings made me uneasy-- just like the girl at the end of the article. What if something bad would happen? What I fail to consider is what if being on my phone is preventing something good from happening. I think that I could really afford to be off of my phone more than I currently am, and maybe many more people could as well.
Bella York, Section 3
ReplyDeleteI would enjoy it if the social norm were to talk to others, instead of just staring at your phone. I wonder if the social norm changing has made it so that even if you do want to talk to people, it's anxiety-inducing to do so. We are in a "loneliness epidemic." Is it the phones?
Not to mention how divided socially and politically our country has gotten. Obviously, social media has made this worse. Algorithms show you what keeps you on the platform, which is usually something inflammatory. If we constantly see people as our enemies, why would we have enough faith in humanity to start a conversation with a stranger?