Up@dawn 2.0 (blogger)

Delight Springs

Tuesday, September 23, 2025

Questions SEP 25

 LHP

1. How did Samuel Johnson "refute" Berkeley's theory? Did he succeed? Why or why not?

2. What made Berkeley an idealist, and an immaterialist? Are you one, the other, both, neither?

3. In what way did Berkeley claim to be more consistent than Locke? DId Berkeley have a point about that?

4. What was Berkeley's Latin slogan? Do you think existence depends upon being perceived?

5. What obvious difficulty does Berkeley's theory face? Is it possible to have ideas that are consistent (non-contradictory) but still about non-realities?

6. What English poet declared that "whatever is, is right," and what German philosopher (with his "Principle of Sufficient Reason") agreed with the poet? Does this imply that nothing is ever wrong or bad? Is it really possible or reasonable to believe this?

7. What French champion of free speech and religious toleration wrote a satirical novel/play ridiculing the idea that everything is right (for the best)? 

8. What 1755 catastrophe deeply influenced Voltaire's philosophy? Do you have a philosophical perspective on natural catastrophes that makes rational and moral sense of them?

9. What did Voltaire mean by "cultivating our garden"? Do you agree with hin?

10. Did Hume think the human eye is so flawless in its patterned intricacy that, like Paley's watch, it constitutes powerful evidence of intelligent design? Why would an omnipotent designer design a flawed organ?

11. What was Hume's definition of "miracle"? Did he think we should usually believe others' reports of having witnessed a miracle? Where would you draw the line between events that are highly improbable and events that are impossible (according to known laws)?

12. Rousseau said we're born free but everywhere are in ____, but can liberate ourselves by submitting to what is best for the whole community, aka the _______. Are we all more free when we act not only for ourselves but for the good of the whole community (world, species)?


Weiner ch3

  1. What were Rousseau's "multitudes"? Most of all he was a ___.  Are you one?
  2. Rousseau's philosophy can be summed up in what four words? What does he claim is our "natural state"? (Note the contrast with Hobbes's "state of nature" that we previously discussed.) Do you agree more with him, with Hobbes, or with neither? Is it prudent to generalize about human nature?
  3. Who were some other peripatetics (walking philosophers) named by Weiner? This approach to thinking "gives the lie" to what myth? Do you know how Diogenes "solved" Zeno's paradoxes of motion? [See * below]
  4. How was Rousseau like Socrates? Are you, too?
  5. What is Rousseau's legacy to us? How does he contrast with Descartes? What did he foresee?


HWT

1. In what way was the idea of a separable soul a "corruption"? What French philosopher of the 17th century defended it? What Scottish skeptic of the 18th century disputed it?

2. What do Owen Flanagan's findings suggest, that contrasts with Aristotle's view of human nature?

3. If you ask an American and a Japanese about their occupation, how might they respond differently?


FL

1. What amazing theme park was erected in Brooklyn at the turn of the 20th century?

2. Who was Robert Love Taylor?

3. What was Birth of a Nation?

4. What did H.L. Mencken say about southerners?

5. What did The New Theology say about the supernatural?

6. How did Modernists reconcile science and religion?

7. What famous trial was held in Tennessee in 1925, and what did Clarence Darrow say about it, and what was its cultural impact?



 
==
Peripatetic philosophy:
The Gymnasiums of the Mind
...pondering the happy connection between philosophy and a good brisk walk.

If there is one idea intellectuals can agree upon it is that the act of ambulation – or as we say in the midwest, walking – often serves as a catalyst to creative contemplation and thought. It is a belief as old as the dust that powders the Acropolis, and no less fine. Followers of the Greek Aristotle were known as peripatetics because they passed their days strolling and mind-wrestling through the groves of the Academe. The Romans’ equally high opinion of walking was summed up pithily in the Latin proverb: “It is solved by walking.” [Solvitur ambulando, as Diogenes said to Zeno as he literally walked away in demonstrating motion and change]

Nearly every philosopher-poet worth his salt has voiced similar sentiments. Erasmus recommended a little walk before supper and “after supper do the same.” Thomas Hobbes had an inkwell built into his walking stick to more easily jot down his brainstorms during his rambles. Jean- Jacques Rousseau claimed he could only meditate when walking: “When I stop, I cease to think,” he said. “My mind only works with my legs.” Søren Kierkegaard believed he’d walked himself into his best thoughts. In his brief life Henry David Thoreau walked an estimated 250,000 miles, or ten times the circumference of earth. “I think that I cannot preserve my health and spirits,” wrote Thoreau, “unless I spend four hours a day at least – and it is commonly more than that – sauntering through the woods and over the hills and fields absolutely free from worldly engagements.” Thoreau’s landlord and mentor Ralph Waldo Emerson characterized walking as “gymnastics for the mind.”

In order that he might remain one of the fittest, Charles Darwin planted a 1.5 acre strip of land with hazel, birch, privet, and dogwood, and ordered a wide gravel path built around the edge. Called Sand-walk, this became Darwin’s ‘thinking path’ where he roamed every morning and afternoon with his white fox-terrier. Of Bertrand Russell, long-time friend Miles Malleson has written: “Every morning Bertie would go for an hour’s walk by himself, composing and thinking out his work for that day. He would then come back and write for the rest of the morning, smoothly, easily and without a single correction.”

None of these laggards, however, could touch Friedrich Nietzsche, who held that “all truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.” Rising at dawn, Nietzsche would stalk through the countryside till 11 a.m. Then, after a short break, he would set out on a two-hour hike through the forest to Lake Sils. After lunch he was off again, parasol in hand, returning home at four or five o’clock, to commence the day’s writing.

Not surprisingly, the romantic poets were walkers extraordinaire. William Wordsworth traipsed fourteen or so miles a day through the Lake District, while Coleridge and Shelley were almost equally energetic. According to biographer Leslie Stephen, “The (English) literary movement at the end of the 18th century was…due in great part, if not mainly, to the renewed practice of walking.”

Armed with such insights, one must wonder whether the recent decline in walking hasn’t led to a corresponding decline in thinking. Walking, as both a mode of transportation and a recreational activity, began to fall off noticeably with the rise of the automobile, and took a major nosedive in the 1950s. Fifty plus years of automobile-centric design has reduced the number of sidewalks and pedestrian-friendly spaces to a bare minimum (particularly in the American west). All of the benefits of walking: contemplation, social intercourse, exercise, have been willingly exchanged for the dubious advantages of speed and convenience, although the automobile alone cannot be blamed for the maddening acceleration of everyday life. The modern condition is one of hurry, a perpetual rush hour that leaves little time for meditation. No wonder then that in her history of walking, Rebecca Solnit mused that “modern life is moving faster than the speed of thought, or thoughtfulness,” which seems the antithesis of Wittgenstein’s observation that in the race of philosophy, the prize goes to the slowest.

If we were to compare the quantity and quality of thinkers of the early 20th century with those of today, one cannot help but notice the dearth of Einsteins, William Jameses, Eliots and Pounds, Freuds, Jungs, Keynes, Picassos, Stravinskys, Wittgensteins, Sartres, Deweys, Yeats and Joyces. But it would be foolish to suggest that we have no contemporaries equal to Freud, et al. That would be doing an injustice to Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, Edward O. Wilson, James D. Watson, and the recently departed Stephen J. Gould. But as to their walking habits, they varied. Gould, a soft, flabby man, made light of his lack of exercise. Edward O. Wilson writes that he “walks as much as (his) body allows,” and used to jog up until his forties. Watson, the discoverer of the DNA molecule, frequently haunts the grounds of the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, particularly on weekends, and is said to be both a nature-lover and bird-watcher.

There seems no scientific basis to link the disparate acts of walking and thinking, though that didn’t stop Mark Twain from speculating that “walking is good to time the movement of the tongue by, and to keep the blood and the brain stirred up and active.” Others have concluded that walking’s two-point rhythm clears the mind for creative study and reflection....

To paraphrase Thomas Jefferson, walking remains for me the best “of all exercises.” Even so, I am full of excuses to stay put. My neighborhood has no sidewalks and it is downright dangerous to stroll the streets at night; if the threat does not come directly from thugs, then from drunken teens in speeding cars. There are certainly no Philosophers’ Walks in my hometown, as there are near the universities of Toronto, Heidelberg, and Kyoto. Nor are there any woods, forests, mountains or glens. “When we walk, we naturally go to the fields and the woods,” said Thoreau. “What would become of us, if we only walked in a garden or a mall?” I suppose I am what becomes of us, Henry.

At noon, if the weather cooperates, I may join a few other nameless office drudges on a stroll through the riverfront park. My noon walk is a brief burst of freedom in an otherwise long, dreary servitude. Though I try to reserve these solitary walks for philosophical ruminations, my subconscious doesn’t always cooperate. Often I find my thoughts to be pedestrian and worrisome in nature. I fret over money problems, or unfinished office work and my attempts to brush these thoughts away as unworthy are rarely successful. Then, again, in the evenings I sometimes take my two dachshunds for a stroll. For a dog, going for a walk is the ultimate feelgood experience. Mention the word ‘walkies’ to a wiener dog, and he is immediately transported into new dimensions of bliss. I couldn’t produce a similar reaction in my wife if I proposed that we take the Concorde to Paris for the weekend. Rather than suffer a walk, my son would prefer to have his teeth drilled.

In no way am I suggesting that all of society’s ills can be cured by a renaissance of walking. But maybe – just maybe – a renewed interest in walking may spur some fresh scientific discoveries, a unique literary movement, a new vein of philosophy. If nothing else it will certainly improve our health both physically and mentally. Of course that would mean getting out from behind the desk at noon and getting some fresh air. That would mean shutting down the television in the evenings and breathing in the Great Outdoors. And, ultimately, it would involve a change in thinking and a shift in behavior, as opposed to a change of channels and a shift into third.

© CHRISTOPHER ORLET 2004

Christopher Orlet is an essayist and book critic. His work appears often in The American Spectator, the London Guardian, and Salon.com. Visit his homepage at www.christopherorlet.net

https://philosophynow.org/issues/44/The_Gymnasiums_of_the_Mind

36 comments:

  1. Abby Jessen (Section 1)September 23, 2025 at 6:55 PM

    The more I learn about these philosiphers the more I realize they just have a lot of time on their hands to be thinking about all this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Section #1
      I totally agree with that. I think about the time I have (or really don't have) and I wonder if they had jobs or demanding coursework to finish. When I complete a long day at school or work, the last thing I'm wanting to do is postulate abstract concepts while I walk the 20 miles to Nashville, or something. I think that's probably why they were ostracized a lot of the times.

      Delete
    2. Totally agree. I have to remind myself though that these guys didn't have as much stimulation as we do with phones, advertisements, and the generally extremely noisy world of today. I decompress by looking at my phone, but they apparently did that by thinking about death a lot.

      Delete
    3. You also have to think about what kind of society these older philosophers were in. For one, most of them didn't do anything else but philosophize, so that's what they spent their time doing. On the other hand, we are all in college trying to learn and gain the needed skills to get a job. Most of us are focused on this world and don't spend time thinking about "social contracts" or "free will." We just do what we do.

      Delete
    4. Very true. Reading up on these philosophers has made me curious about what would happen if I made a serious effort to distance my self from the "noise" of the world. Probably a bunch of weird detached ideas.

      Delete
  2. Section #1
    LHP
    10. Hume didn't think the Design Argument held up very well. I agree with that, thinking of the logic of it. Eyes aren't the only thing that could be flawed, either. Some people and animals are born with defects-- not every kind of fruit or vegetable have the exact same qualities. I think the doubt stems from the assumption or conclusion that God is all-powerful, all-knowing, all-loving. Why would he make something not perfect or not functional? Even as a Christian, I think about creation and then I think about Lucifer. He was made by God, right? Why did he defect from the creator? Did He give him free will just like He gave Adam and Eve free will? Is free will a flaw, then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack Bortz, Section 1September 24, 2025 at 1:58 PM

      I have also long thought about this and have so far come up with nothing. Perhaps this is an excellent example of the limitations of human knowledge. However, maybe I am not looking at it the right way. The constant presence of evil and harm in the world are extremely difficult to rationalize. On the positive side, thinking about this has taught me to be grateful for the things in life that do function properly. Who knows, maybe there is not even a gold standard for functionality. I have to wear glasses, yet I do not think of my eyes as "flawed." Instead, I just think of them as needing a little help. In my mind, there is a difference, but I could very well be wrong.

      Delete
    2. I agree with Hume after being consoled with the design argument a lot as a kid. I think it's one of the easier things for a parent or youth pastor to pull out when questioned about the existence of God. I'm pretty sure I've always found the argument weak, but Warburton's explanation of the cause and effect assumption helped me nail down why i didn't agree.

      Delete
  3. Section #1
    Weiner
    4. Rousseau and Socrates were known for walking around, inquiring and contemplating. I don't do a lot of walking anymore-- I don't really have the time for it now. But I do like driving. I live off campus and it takes me a little over 30 minutes to get to school every day. Plus whatever errands or events I have to drive to after school, I drive over an hour every day. I usually spend that time listening to music, but also thinking, planning my day, or reflecting on conversations I've had. I do have a lot of time to think, and I think of my car as my safe space. I control everything in it. I control my speed, how fast I break, when I switch lanes, where I go, who's in the car with me, what I have on my Spotify cue-- it's the perfect space for me to be me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd have to agree with that, I feel like I think better in my car. I used to walk my dog everyday back when I lived with my parents, but since the dog stays with them, walking her everyday ain't so easy anymore. Even when I did walk my dog I'd mostly be thinking but only a few walks come to mind if I think about what I thought about. In turn driving I would usually think about solutions to past or potential future conflicts.

      Delete
  4. Jack Bortz, Section 1September 24, 2025 at 1:52 PM

    WEINER, CH 3, 1-2

    1. Rosseau's multitudes were philosopher, novelist, composer, essayist, botanist, autodidact, fugitive, political theorist, and masochist. However, above all of these, he was a walker. I am also quite the walker, which I made a habit of when I was younger. That later switched to skateboarding. I often go and cruise around my neighborhood trying to make sense of life, especially late at night. Something about the dark and the peace and mystery allows me to think deeply more easily. This typically ends when it inevitably starts raining.

    2. Rosseau's philosophy can be summed up in the words "nature good, society bad." I find this both highly amusing and also quite true. Perhaps all of the hardcore punk I listen to is to blame, but society has proven to be quite problematic in my life. Then again, it can also be a beautiful thing. I may be more easily happy by myself, but that will never leach the level of happiness achieved when surrounded by people I truly care about. Here is yet another situation where the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Rosseau believed our "natural state" was good, whereas Hobbes believed exactly the opposite. He believed nature to be "solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short." Thus, he viewed human nature as inherently selfish and barbaric. I tend to lean more on the side of Rosseau. I have had enough pessimism for one lifetime! Of course, humanity is flawed, but in most cases, I believe the circumstances bring about violence and hate in people. I cannot imagine living life assuming everyone is evil. There are, of course, exceptions. I would also argue it is not prudent to generalize about human nature. Humans are so unique that to use blanket statements is not only irresponsible but also dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also loved walking in the woods when I was younger. I was raised in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains, so I always enjoyed wandering through the woods and looking at everything. I understand why so many philosophers walked because it really does calm your mind and help you think better. You're not worried about the world, you're just focused on walking and enjoying everything around you.

      Delete
  5. Bella York, Section #3September 24, 2025 at 8:01 PM

    Bella York, Section #3

    I can see the logic behind both Alexander Pope’s and Voltaire’s views on if the world needed to be like this. Seeing all the evil in the world, it’s hard to imagine this is the best possible option. But since God is infinitely good, I must also trust that He has a larger plan. I know that the New Earth that will be made after Jesus comes back will be the best possible option. Maybe God first needed us to choose Him, thus evil had to be an option, in order to then give everyone who did choose Him the best possible world.

    Rousseau's idea of freedom being forced to follow certain rules falls short because no human can make perfect rules. Even if one would be the most free by obeying the rules, she must first choose to follow them. This reminds me of my relationship to God’s guidance on what I should and shouldn’t do. Following the rules He set out for us while having a personal relationship with Him will ultimately provide me with the most joy, peace, and fulfillment. It also ensures that my life has the greatest positive effect on the people around me. So, although to be free I must choose this myself, ultimately, I will experience the most freedom by following God’s plan for me.

    This ties into Spinova’s view of breaking free from “bondage.” It’s not simply reacting to your circumstances and allowing them to guide your emotions and actions entirely. It’s similar to the Christian idea of “Joy.” Happiness is the result of your circumstances, but joy comes from a peace and closeness to God which isn’t reliant on what is happening to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Section 3
      My pastor would remind us that sin feels free until you try to stop it, as well as how it always takes you farther than you intended to go. I was reminded of this when you said that we experience the most freedom by following God. In reality, most of us are slaves to this world, whether it's status, money, or relationships.

      Delete
  6. Donyae Keeler
    Section 1#
    1. I think he failed to refute the core of Berkeley's theory, the idea that there are no material objects and what we deem as material is just a combination of sensory feelings and experiences that create the illusion of materialism. He kicked the stone "proving" that it was real but this still falls in line with Berkeley's idea that the feeling of the stone on our toe is what convinces us that it exists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Antonella Comaschi section 3
      I agree that Samuel Johnson failed to refute Berkeley's theory because you can't really discuss something with someone that doesn't believe in anything. If he believes that we can only be sure of something by experiencing it doesn't matter what you've experienced or what anyone else has if he hasn't experienced it first hand it can't be true. Makes you think if he believed in death, for he had not experienced it.

      Delete
    2. I totally agree. All he did was, at least in terms of Berkeley's theory, prove that the stone felt hard to his toe. That didn't necessarily prove that Berkeley was wrong. That is still a sense (touch), and doesn't disprove Berkeley in any way.

      Delete
  7. Section #1
    LHP
    8. The Lisbon earthquake. I don't have a philosophical perspective that makes sense of catastrophes in any supernatural sense. Sometimes a human cause can be tied to one, or an oversight, but we didn't have the preliminary knowledge it would occur, otherwise it wouldn't have been a disaster. We may learn things from the disaster in how to avoid such an occurrence again, but that doesn't warrant the loss of lives.

    9. Doing something useful for humanity rather than just asking abstract philosophical questions. I'm fifty fifty on his take. I usually focus on work I view as productive whether it somehow benefit humanity or not, I do it without thinking about that. Abstract philosophical questions can benefit humanity it is more of a matter that the right philosophical questions are asked. Of course there are ways to benefit humanity without asking philosophical questions. I see at as too much of a gray area to say one way or the other.

    ReplyDelete
  8. FL
    5. What did The New Theology say about the supernatural?

    The New Theology focused less on miracles and supernatural events, and more on living a moral, spiritual life, which made Christianity easier to connect with modern science and reason.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LHP 2: Berkeley was an idealist because he thought that reality is only made up of ideas. He was an immaterialist because he denies that matter exists. I like to think that I'm only slightly aligned with both. I think that matter and reality is real, but we as humans have made up some fake concepts. Like sexuality and gender. and the state of Wisconsin.
    4. I think that our way of living life is influenced by perception. I sometimes base my actions around how people perceive me. For example, my friends like to tell me I'm a blunt person. I never saw myself as blunt until they pointed it out. Once I accepted that I truly might be just a little bit direct, I let myself lean into it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The prevalence of philosophers who just didn't believe things exist at all is just insane to me. Every time I think we're done with the "is this object real" conversation someone else comes along with some strange theory of why nothing is real and why that makes him believe in God. I think starting with a baseline assumption of things are real and they matter is something that I absolutely require if I am going to align myself with any philosopher's ideas. This is just a grievance i've been having lately and I was wondering if anyone else agrees!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Philopateeer Iskandar 3

    1. He kicked a stone and felt the pain from kicking it. Berkeley still said that it doesn’t make the rock hard, but that it brings a painful sensation.

    4.Esse est percipi’ – to be (or exist), no, I think that if something exists, then it exists doesn’t matter if you don’t see it or touch it will still be there.

    5.The problem with his theory is that it would be impossible to prove the whole theory is because things only exist when people are around to see and feel them, and they come back when we are around.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 2. What made Berkeley an idealist, and an immaterialist? Are you one, the other, both, neither?

    As an idealist he believed all that exists are ideas, and as an immaterialist he denied the existence of physical objects. I am neither of these - I think the entire concept of things only existing as ideas and no longer existing when not seen or acknowledged is the denial of a fundamental cognitive development called object permanence. Philosophy is to question and find wisdom through it, but at a certain point questioning what is certainly true becomes illogical and senseless. He asks how we can prove it, which frustratingly has no answer that satisfies those who do not believe so without visual confirmation otherwise.

    4. What was Berkeley's Latin slogan? Do you think existence depends upon being perceived?

    Esse est percipi - To exist is to be perceived. I do not think existence has any reliance on being perceived. I do believe in social constructions and things created through our perceptions like symbolic interactionists study, but these do not apply to PHYSICAL constructs of reality. These exist whether any living thing perceives them or not.

    5. What obvious difficulty does Berkeley's theory face? Is it possible to have ideas that are consistent (non-contradictory) but still about non-realities?



    8. What 1755 catastrophe deeply influenced Voltaire's philosophy? Do you have a philosophical perspective on natural catastrophes that makes rational and moral sense of them?



    9. What did Voltaire mean by "cultivating our garden"? Do you agree with him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Posted early on accident and forgot the tag

      Corbin Medley - Section 3

      5. What obvious difficulty does Berkeley's theory face? Is it possible to have ideas that are consistent (non-contradictory) but still about non-realities?

      His theory has difficulty explaining how we could be mistaken about anything. He argues that we have experiences of reality and experiences of illusion that as long as they don't contradict, we are not mistaken. The problem is, how do you apply that to something you cannot experience but only believe in? Meta-physical experiences or values cannot be tested as illusions or not, but maybe I misunderstand his argument as it somewhat confused me.

      8. What 1755 catastrophe deeply influenced Voltaire's philosophy? Do you have a philosophical perspective on natural catastrophes that makes rational and moral sense of them?

      The Lisbon Earthquake/Tsunami of 1755 that killed twenty thousand people and was followed by raging fires for several days. I don't have a philosophical or religious explanation for such horrific disasters, I just believe it is part of nature, which is full of tragedies. I believe its wrong to try and morally justify horrific things as acceptable and necessary aspects of life.

      9. What did Voltaire mean by "cultivating our garden"? Do you agree with him?

      He means that we should devote our lives to doing something useful for humanity. I also believe this could be interpreted as making the best out of what we are provided in opposition to pure optimism. Pangloss tells Candide that all the horrifying events they stumbled through "had to happen" for this happy ending, and Candide responses with the line "We must cultivate our Garden" which I believe is rebuking the idea that any of this was the best outcome or required for it, rather, making the most of the tragedies that have happened.

      Delete
    2. I really like your answer for #8 and find myself thinking the same way as you do for disasters. I like to think myself an empirical thinker and when natural disasters happen I find it hard to find them evil or full of spite due to their natural causes.

      Delete
  13. 3. In what way did Berkeley claim to be more consistent than Locke? DId Berkeley have a point about that?

    Berkeley claimed to be more consistent compared to Locke because he was able to use lockes own logic to its logical end. I think in a way he did have a point in a sense but I personally am never a fan of taking logical problems and bringing them to their extremes because it points to an outlier and claims that its the norm.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like your answer for #4 and would have to agree with you. An odd mantra I used to tell myself when I was younger was that reality is what I perceived it as and therefore the only important thing were things that I assigned value to. Looking back now I can understand the short comings in that idea but at the same time its hard to shake the idea that perception is reality, and that another logical conclusion is that peoples perceptions of me are their reality.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Section 2

    10. Did Hume think the human eye is so flawless in its patterned intricacy that, like Paley's watch, it constitutes powerful evidence of intelligent design? Why would an omnipotent designer design a flawed organ?

    To answer the first part of this question, Hume did not believe the human eye, or any other natural phenomenon for that matter, to be a perfect mechanism, and especially not as blatantly indicative of an intelligent designer. Though he did not entirely dismiss the possibility, he found that the complexity of nature was inadequate evidence to make this claim.

    Why would an omnipotent creator make a flawed creation? This, I suppose, depends on the connotation and conception of omnipotence and other such powers and dispositions attributed to the creator in question. Omnipotence is, in most definitions, described as the possession of great or unlimited power. In essence, it is a measure purely of influence. The god that Hume challenged, the Christian God, is described as omnipotent, yes, but also as omniscient (knowing all) and omnibenevolent (a force of unlimited moral goodness).

    I bring this up because, a creator with only omnipotence has no apparent incentive to make anything functional or “good” (though the moral side of this, I feel, gets very complicated very quickly). Just because this entity could hypothetically create the perfect eyeball does not mean it will feel the compulsion to do so, especially if it has no incentive such as moral compulsion. To an entity such as this, the most functional eye conceivable may hold no more value than the worst functioning one, since it probably wouldn’t have values at all. Things would be just that from its perspective, if it possessed a perspective at all, things. A big group of arbitrary matter doing things, all of which it could not care less for. This might seem a malicious entity to some, but I caution that thought as mistaking carelessness for malice: by all means, I believe one would actually need to care a great deal to wish to cause harm or chaos, meanwhile this being has no want or desire; if things work out beneficially to some of the stuff, no reaction. If they work out poorly, also no reaction.

    I haven’t even mentioned the idea that a being with omnipotence but not omniscience may not even know HOW to make the optimal designs, since it only has the power to do so, not the mental capacity to conceive of them in the first place. So say there is an omnibenevolent, omnipotent god or god-analogue. Even if it wants to do “good”, it may not know the best way to approach such a scenario, causing some or much harm or design inefficiency in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  16. (Continued)

    Finally, omnibenevolence. Changing up the question slightly, why would an omnipotent, omniscient, Omnibenevolent creator design something with flaws? The interesting aspect of omnibenevolence, as opposed to the other two, is that it is a goal structure, not an ability. It posits two ideas: that there exists an objective moral code in the universe, and that this being does all within its power to uphold this and proliferate good. The dilemma is thus: can an all powerful god/god-analogue be omnibenevolent if harm, imperfection, confusion, or negativity in general exist? I am not personally able to reconcile this in two ways. First, the very notion seems paradoxical, such that at least one of the three qualities must be absent for it to make sense. Second, I ask a question of my own: what is “good”, anyways? I’ve put the word in quotation marks various times thus far and for the reason I will now discuss. From my perspective, I have not found moral claims consistent enough between people to assert that any have grounds in objectivity. Essentially, I believe right and wrong, good and bad are entirely subjective matters. For one, moral conflict exists, being that two or more groups have moral ideologies that directly or indirectly disagree. This is not exclusive to morality, and it is generally accepted that people disagree on facts as well, which by definition cannot be subjective. The problem arises for me when I consider that morality has no physical grounds. One cannot hold right or wrong, it resides purely within our minds. Well, you could argue, numbers are entirely conceptual, cannot be held, but are still considered objective. Yes, but there is one further layer: scenarios can, and often do, exist in which you cannot do someone good without causing (directly or not) the harm of another (regardless of whether or not both parties have done no harm themselves). If this is the case, both parties could walk away with opposite conceptions of the interaction, being that it was a moral wrong or right. This, to me, is exactly the behavior of an opinion. I can even examine further and note that it is relative, that is, something can only be good so long as there are bad things to compare it to, the degree to which something is good is only relative to lesser degrees of good, and so on but reversed for bad. These all seem to me like the qualities of perspective, the relativity, the conceptuality, and the conflict it can have with its conception in other’s minds. Circling back to the creator issue, if there was an omnibenevolent creator, entailing objective morality, then how can all of the above rebuttals be reconciled? I do not think they can.

    As a side note, a more perfect eye, though not a matter of morality strictly speaking, is still, in my understanding, an opinionated matter, because it entails that this creator has an incentive to want to make an eye. Why an eye? What specific purpose do our visual organs provide us with that other hypothetical structures could not? What compels this creator to care about humanity enough to give us any way to perceive or think at all? All of these would indicate goal, which indicates values, which indicate opinions that some things are more important or interesting than others.

    In this way, I could reconcile the existence of an all powerful, all knowing god which has no care or morality, or which has just enough malice to cause some pain from time to time, or which is benevolent (entailing objective morality) but lacks the force or foresight to fully enact it (causing what I perceive as moral subjectivity), but a god in the traditional Christian sense has me very confused, as it seems it did for Hume.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Section 2

      I wrote this and meant to be a continuation of my earlier post, but I forgot to note my name

      Delete
  17. Jay Triplett, Section 2:

    Little History of Philosophy

    1. He kicked a rock on the street to prove that there are physical objects in the world, not just ideas of them, as he could feel the hard stone. He didn’t succeed, as Berkeley said that the feeling simply proved the *idea* of a hard stone, as the stone is nothing more than the sensations we feel from it.

    2. He believed that everything is only an idea, and that there are no physical materials in the world. I don’t agree with either of these philosophies because we understand enough about atoms, physics, and how objects are formed to make a solid claim that there are physical objects.

    3. I Berkeley disagreed with Locke’s idea that there is a “real world” that we can’t perceive, because he thought that we are seeing the real world because the world is nothing but ideas. Berkeley had a point about that, because his rationale didn’t rely on the unproven concept of another world, but instead kept true to pure immaterialism.

    4. ‘Esse est percipi’, or, to exist is to be perceived. I don’t agree with this belief because, under this assumption, history would cease to exist after everyone who experienced it dies. This can’t be true, because we are constantly building on the ideas of people before us. Just because we can’t experience something, doesn’t mean that its influence isn’t felt.

    5. Alexander Pope and Gottfried Leibniz. No, it just means that out of all the possible worlds, the one we live in has the least amount of evil. Probably the only way to actually believe this is if you grow up in a sheltered life that is free of worries or hardship. Any other person would see that this world is highly imperfect and in need of changing.

    6. François-Marie Arouet, or Voltaire.

    7. The Lisbon earthquake, which killed more than 20,000 people, made Voltaire question the idea of “God’s greater plan”. I believe that natural disasters are only one form of the natural (or increasingly unnatural due to the effects of climate change) cruelty of the world. While we can’t, and shouldn’t try to, eradicate this cruelty, we can mitigate its effects on us and our neighbors as much as possible.

    8. Voltaire thought that we should cultivate our garden by trying to weed out as much injustice as we can, even if we can’t get it all. I agree with him, because there are some evil aspects about life that we can’t change, but that doesn’t mean that we should accept all bad things as “God’s plan” or lie down in defeat.

    9. Hume didn’t believe this argument, but rather that the world might appear to be designed but not actually be so. We can only see the effect, not the cause.

    10. Hume defined a miracle as anything that defies the set laws of nature, such as “No one can walk on water” or “No one dies and then comes back to life”. He then said that we shouldn’t believe people’s reported miracles, as people could be lying or mistaken. I consider events that have physical and biological processes that keep them from happening to be impossible, while others can be highly improbable.

    11.Chains; General Will. I believe that we are freer if we strive for the good of the community, since we are immune to subjugation when we prevent it from happening to others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For 4. I think he was speaking more for individuals, not the whole of humanity. Saying that being perceived is a product of existing rather than our existence is weighed by how much it has been perceived.

      Delete
  18. Antonella Comaschi section 3
    I found your answer to 11 interesting. So you believe in free will and in karma; therefore, if we strive to use our free will to the best of our abilities we will be faced with the same back. How would you explain suffering if someone strived to live a morally good life?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Addison Baird Section 2
    2. What made Berkeley an idealist, and an immaterialist? Are you one, the other, both, neither?
    Berkeley believed that all things are ideas and material objects are not real. While I can understand the points he tries to make and the way he could arrive at the conclusion, I lean more towards the man kicking a rock stating, "I refute thee." To think that everything only exists because we are there to think it seems like too self-centered of a position to be true. Before modern humans, before Earth, planets nebula, nature, organisms existed. I am neither an immaterialist or an idealist. I shall kick many big rocks of planets long before us and state, "I refute thee," as well.

    3. In what way did Berkeley claim to be more consistent than Locke? Did Berkeley have a point about that?
    Berkeley claimed he was more consistent than Locke because he thought that we do perceive the world. Locke thought that we perceive ideas that make the world. I agree that Locke is more consistent on this point-- it does exists the same to everyone, maybe only as an idea, but it does exist. Locke's stance seems a little more wishy-washy.

    4. What was Berkeley's Latin slogan? Do you think existence depends upon being perceived?
    I disagree that existence is dependent on being perceived. There are many stretches of the world that we have not yet explored, yet they still exist despite our inability to reach them. People long before us existed even if we can not see them now. They are independent of each other.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Addison McCammon section 3September 25, 2025 at 1:25 PM

    The philosopher Leibniz agreed with the poet Pope. I think assuming that our world is the best possible world isn't inaccurate, but to say that because it's the "best" nothing is ever wrong or bad would be untrue. This world is the best possible world because we are alive to experience it. However, our world is full of unimaginable cruelty brought forth by the people inhabiting it (you could argue for "free-will" being the source of evil in our "best world too). Essentially, this world may be the "best" but that does not make it "good"

    A series of natural disasters in Lisbon (including an earthquake, tsunami, and fires) killed 20,000 people and deeply influenced Voltaire's philosophy. There is no philosophical explanation for such a tragedy. One could make the argument that life is a gift and death, regardless of the circumstance, is the price we as humans pay for such an experience.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Maybe the "realness" of something isn't the point. It feels there have been great efforts by the philosophers that we've studied so far to identify and distinguish what it is real and what is simply only real through our perception. I don't think I really understand why this is such a vital topic. But I remain open-minded as much as I can.

    ReplyDelete