Up@dawn 2.0 (blogger)

Delight Springs

Wednesday, February 2, 2022

I Am Not Proof of the American Dream

Former MTSU commencement speaker Tara Westover (author of Educated) on the vanishing dream, as higher education becomes increasingly out of reach. 

For poor kids today, the path I took through education no longer exists.

When I think of my first semester of college, the memory comes to me as a physical sensation. I feel tired. There is the siren-screech of an alarm sounding at 3:40 in the morning. I feel it in my teeth. Then images: the orange glow of the jumbo numbers in pitch black, the instinctual, semiconscious tapping of the button, the gradual shrinking of my bed as I climb out of it and move toward the door. I do not change my clothes. It was my habit to dress for the day the night before, because an alarm blaring at 3:40 really does sound much better than an alarm blaring at 3:30... (Tara Westover, continues)

1 comment:

  1. This really makes me want to read her book. She's so raw and honest that it really gets her point across. She hit rock bottom and her pell grant really got her up on her feet. So many people work full time or even work multiple jobs to keep themselves afloat and pay for school which, like Westover said, has just gotten more and more expensive over time. Students should have the job of just being students, working towards who they want to be. I like how Westover said that money frees your mind for living. That is all some people ask for, and that is something every person deserves.

    ReplyDelete