I was assigned Fantasyland 45-46, which directly talks about Donald Trump, social media, politics, a little bit of religion, and the future of politics. So, I am gonna talk mainly about that. If you have any issues with anything I say, feel free to comment or, honestly, email me. I love talking about politics, and if anyone is interested in learning more about anything I talk about, or my views on anything, I’d be happy to elaborate. I also highly recommend reading this book, especially these two chapters.
As a Political Science major, chapters 45-46 really captured a lot of what I've been feeling recently. Every time I go to my American Politics class, I always find myself with the question, “How is this allowed?” or some variation. At least once a week, it is mentioned that Trump has done some radical thing that goes against years of precedent. Or the Supreme Court has voided protections against certain people. Every headline, every story, every piece of news is usually accompanied with a sigh.
America has turned into one big reality TV show. Politics isn’t about who is the best candidate, it is simply about who is worst. Even recently, with commercials about the seventh congressional district, with Aftyn Behn and Matt Van Epps: Behn’s is how she will help lower taxes, and help the common person. Van Epps’ is demonizing Behn, saying how radical she is and her radical agenda is terrible for Tennessee. It’s all demonization of the other party, and both parties are guilty of it.
It’s a really interesting phenomenon that’s happening in America. Since there is no extreme divide, Republicans aren’t heavily dominating multiple elections, and neither are Democrats, the elections are so close. Because of this, negative partisanship happens, where you don’t vote for your party because you like it, you vote because you hate the other one, and don’t want it to be in power.
It didn’t always used to be like this, mostly because America wasn’t really 50/50. You had Critical Realigning
Elections, which would result in years of one party being in charge. We don’t really have that anymore, elections
can go either way.
The media is the one that spurs this, that spurs all the chaos. Facts don’t get coverage, facts don’t make news companies money. People click on articles that make them mad, that’s just how it works. The more angry people become, the more money platforms make. It’s the same concept as engagement-baiting on social media. Or rage-baiting. It’s the same concept, just applied on a larger scale, and in our politics. It’s how the system works, and it’s how the algorithm works.
https://existentialcomics.com/comic/595
It’s also built on the fact that people don’t put in effort to be educated. People don’t put in effort to do research.
And the internet knows that, companies profit off that. Why would people go through multiple news articles and
sources to find correct info, when AI can just tell you it quicker. Who cares if it’s wrong or misinformation, when
you can have it in .05 seconds?
Trump is a character. He plays a character that appeals to so many people. He is likeable, he is funny. He was
built for reality tv, yet he is power hungry in a way that can only be satisfied by being in the highest position in
the United States. And because America is a reality show, he knows how to work it. He creates a hypothetical-ideal
world for people, just don’t think about it too much. As the author says, "'I will give you everything,' Trump
actually promised. Yes: 'every dream you dreamed for your country' will come true. Another version of that
big, magical fantasy he continuously served up was the general idea of winning." People who see through the
charade, get angry. Rightfully so, since he doesn’t know what he’s doing in a political setting at all. But- the
people who have believed in this world, believed in the character, now have an enemy. And people like getting
mad. People like having someone to debate with, go against, anything. And our system is set up to promote that.
A single member district only allows two parties. That’s why we have only ever had two parties, and by not
voting for one of those, you pretty much throw away your vote.
People believe he is only a character, so when he says he’s going to do extreme things, like run for a third term,
people don’t believe him. A person in my class said that his Trump 2028 hats are just for jokes, just for laughs.
Sure, it’s just for laughs and jokes now, but that’s also what everyone else said about Project 2025. Yet, we’re
already seeing that go into action. People see him only as his character, and somehow- that let him get elected.
So now, he has his power. And he’s pushing that power- the executive branch has been allowed to get so strong
that it basically has more powers than our legislative branch- the branch that the founders put first, as described
in Article 1, Section 1.
The political aspects of Trump and this, Fantasyland, that we now find ourselves in, aside; it’s really interesting to
relate so much to the author in regards to his religious beliefs. As he says, “I’m agnostic about God, always ready
but never expected to be persuaded.” That spoke to me on a very deep level. The past year, I have dipped into
theology and religion, talked with many different people, and it’s been interesting, to say the least. I still believe
I’m agnostic, for personal reasons, involving grief and general questions about some of the deeper parts of religion.
I’m very accepting and supportive of people who are religious, props to them. But, as mentioned in the chapter, we
are living in an age where there is increasing polarization between secular and non-secular people. It’s upsetting,
but not surprising. People will fight anyone on anything, and it’s become very hard to have a meaningful discussion
on any particular standpoints. So, I appreciate everyone in this class who I did have a progressive discussion with
regarding religion.
Closing up, I went into college not really knowing what I was going to do. I didn’t have a passion for anything, no
love or admiration for science, english, or anything. I knew I was good at statistics, but that was about it. I
decided to major in Political Science because, at the end of the day, I love America. Like the author says, I am an
American, and I am lucky to live in America. Being politically literate in this trying- unique time is really
important. I have met a lot of people recently who say they “don’t do” politics. And, that gets under my skin a little.
Politics is all around you, and doing nothing is being complicit in the horrors and actions of the elite.
Becoming more politically literate has already affected people around me. I have been able to hold conversations
with my mom and step-dad, and have been able to educate them and help them understand the state of the world.
I’ve been able to apply it to conversations with friends, and it’s so interesting. While it does take a mental toll on
me, I’ve been able to hold conversations, and that itself has an impact. It shows that youth today still care. They
can still think for themselves, and that is so important.
I love my country, and that is why I want to try and better it. I don’t want to move to another country, because that
is leaving who I am. While I am fortunate enough to leave, others aren’t. And I am not going to stand by and do
nothing. That is done by doing research, by looking at facts. Not using AI. Not just believing the first thing you
see, and by writing and learning.
You may want to revisit the editor mode to fix the structuring. It should show you how it appears to everyone on "viewer".
ReplyDelete