if you've got a library card (or student ID). Remember, on Thursday (10th) we meet in the library: Room 264a, top of the stairs to the left (look for the sign).
Melville Louis Kossuth "Melvil" Dewey (December 10, 1851 – December 26, 1931) was
an influential American librarian and educator, inventor of the Dewey Decimal System
The Great Library of Alexandria
The Modest Library of Brownlee Dr
Read Banned Books...
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. -Cicero
MTSU Walker Library - 2nd Floor B945.J24 O55 2001
Book-banning etc.-
I asked ChatGPT about this. Haven't yet confirmed the total accuracy of its response, but we'll be in the right place to do that Thursday. https://chatgpt.com/share/679b507b-4368-8007-96e9-4b5ea5bfca33
==
And remember:
There are several ways to access The New York Times:
- MTSU provides a free online subscription to The New York Times to faculty, staff and students. See the info here for how to subscribe: How do I subscribe to the New York Times?
- MTSU students, faculty and staff can also access the New York Times through several library databases.
- For a complete list, use Journals A-Z and type new york times in the Title begins with search box.
- The New York Times is is also available on Microfilm on the 2nd floor of the Library.
Related info:
If you need further assistance, please Ask Us!
https://libanswers.mtsu.edu/faq/90420
Grace Durham, Section 3
ReplyDelete1.Machiavelli said a leader needs to have virtu. I do think this is tricky to navigate. In my ethics in psychology class, there was a lot of debate over deontology vs teleology, or in easier terms whether it is better to lie to protect a patient's best interest or be honest even if it might hurt or be difficult for the patient. At least in psychology, it is decided that you must do what will overall have the best interest for the patient and I think the same can apply to a nation. But then again, it must be asked whether or not the leader is a genuinely good person if they are a liar. I believe it would all come down to the actual intentions of the leader, and if they have good enough character to keep people’s best interests in mind.
2.
Machiavelli described his philosophy as being rooted in what really happens. And honestly, I appreciate his truthfulness because very few would be so bold. Certainly today, a lot of politicians are corrupt and do not have people’s best interests in mind but would never say that out loud. The fact that a lot of them still read and study his book centuries later says a lot. It tells me that while Machiavelli may have lied while he was in power, he was open about the type of ruler he was and did not try to paint a false image of himself. Obviously, this does not mean I agree at all with politicians lying and approving of murder or making people fear them. But there is something to be said about him not sugarcoating his methods to the public.
3.
The word “machiavellian” was used to describe leaders who are similar to Machiavelli.Obviously, I think most people respond better to politicians who inspire hope. However, as I said before, lots of politicians speak about honesty and hope to the public and then turn around and mirror Machiavelli’s actions behind the scenes. For a very out there example, Hitler. Many people in Germany truly believed what he was doing was good, right, and just because of how he made it sound at first through propaganda, and then later discovered the true horrors of what was happening. I value a politician who not only shows their good character on a podium, but also with their actions.
4.
According to Hobbes, life outside society would be barbaric and short. We would all resort to killing each other for resources. Personally, I like to think that if the vast majority of people I know were in an apocalypse right now, they would not hurt anyone for their own gain. Now human nature is also derived from how we are raised and socialized, so I’m unsure what my answer would be if we were all just born into an apocalyptic society. But I do not like to live by the beliefs that we are all selfish and untrustworthy people at our core. That seems pessimistic and I feel like I would be miserable if I did think that way.
5.
Hobbes was a very paranoid human. He was paranoid about wars, the fall of the government, and everyone eventually stabbing each other in the back. I certainly have fears that influence my political opinions, but most of them have to do with human rights and not that there are dangerous people coming to get us and that we must be ready. I don’t feel nearly as paranoid as Hobbes seems.
6.
Hobbes did not believe in the existence of a soul, because the body is like a machine. To some, he seemed like an atheist. I absolutely believe in the existence of a soul for many reasons, not even from a religious perspective. Humans are incredibly complex beings and consciousness is not even fully understood, and according to quantum physics, our consciousness is what creates our reality as we observe it. I do think that Hobbes seems like someone who would struggle having faith in anything at all, since he was so paranoid and also in my opinion pessimistic and negative, so having that in your nature would make it very difficult to have faith in metaphysical things.