… It may seem clear that submitting chatbot-generated text is cheating, while using a chatbot to revise one’s own writing is allowed. [No!]
But the line between those two capabilities is thin, and much A.I. use lies in an ethical gray zone.
Many educators “don’t even know where to start,” said Annie Chechitelli, chief product officer at TurnItIn, a company that makes software that can detect plagiarism and track and guide A.I use. “What is OK? What’s not OK?”
Many instructors have already moved to on-paper assignments in the classroom, or locked-down computer browsers that limit A.I. misuse. Others report success in using A.I. detection software, which has recently improved in its ability to flag chatbot-written text while avoiding false positives.
Some see A.I. as a crucial partner for thinking and writing and put few limits on how students use the technology. Others subscribe to the notion of “A.I. literacy,” assigning students to use chatbots to produce an essay or poem, for example, and then critique and try to improve the output...
https://www.nytimes.com/2026/09/15/us/universities-ai-warnings-enthusiasm.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share
No comments:
Post a Comment