Up@dawn 2.0 (blogger)

Delight Springs

Monday, September 14, 2026

Chris Borland walked away from the NFL at the age of 24…

With one in four players suffering permanent brain injury, according to a recent report, maybe we all should. 

"I quit the NFL over concerns of brain damage when I was 24. It was the most difficult and consequential decision of my life. And there was no way of knowing what would come next.

My retirement in 2015 became a lightning rod in the debate over football. Within days, I went from being a linebacker for the San Francisco 49ers to being a guest on “Face the Nation.”
The public response was polarized. I was alternately cast as a coward and lauded as a hero. Some pundits saw my decision as an inflection point for the sport. The NFL dismissed it as an anomaly.

I didn’t know what to think.

Suddenly, I was a poster boy for CTE. At the same time, I was young and just wanted to figure out what to do next. I wrestled with that dilemma for years.

More time has now passed since I left football than I ever spent playing the game. That realization has caused me to reflect..."

 https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/7574837/2026/09/09/chris-borland-nfl-lessons-retirement/?unlocked_article_code=1.BFE.wb6K.sqGDv7Q1x9zk&source=user_shared_article&smid=ta-ios-share

No comments:

Post a Comment