Ezra Klein:
We’re Not Losing Control of A.I. We’re Giving It Away.
There is something we have to do right now...
...Walking quickly off a cliff is only marginally better than sprinting off one. Human beings need to control the frontier, and controlling the frontier means stopping the labs from doing something they are on the cusp of doing: recursive self-improvement, the process by which A.I.s begin autonomously building and improving new generations of more powerful A.I.s at ever more rapid speeds. We are not close to having sufficient control of the A.I. systems we have now to unleash them to build the A.I. systems of tomorrow.I am not alone in this fear. Recursive self-improvement, Dario Amodei, the chief executive of Anthropic, wrote, “could outrun our ability to understand and control these systems, and so must be pursued very carefully, if at all.”
...
But on the other hand, Jaron Lanier:
The main takeaway: nothing is inevitable. Yet. We can still recapture that 90s Star Trek optimism about the future…
No comments:
Post a Comment