Up@dawn 2.0 (blogger)

Delight Springs

Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Questions Oct 6/7

 1. What's the point of James's squirrel story?

2. Who said truth is what we would end up with if we could run all the experiments and investigations we'd like to? (And what's a word his name rhymes with?)

3. What did Bertrand Russell say about James's theory of truth?

4. What 20th century philosopher carried on the pragmatist tradition? What did he say about the way words work?

5. What did Nietzsche mean by "God is dead"? (And what's a word his name rhymes with?)

6. Where did Nietzsche think Christian values come from?

7. What is an Ubermensch, and why does Nigel find it "a bit worrying"?

8. How did Nietzsche differ from Kant but anticipate Freud?

9. What were the three great revolutions in thought, according to Freud?

10. The "talking cure" gave birth to what?

11. Why did Freud think people believe in God?

12. What was Karl Popper's criticism of Freudian psychoanalysis?







DQ
  • Kaag quotes Thoreau: "We must learn to reawaken and keep ourselves awake... by an infinite expectation of the dawn..." What do you think that means? Agree? 67
  • Kaag agrees with Thoreau that one of walking's greatest gifts is time. How so? Do you feel like you have enough time? 69
  • COMMENT: "The walking of which I speak has nothing in it akin to taking exercise..." 69
  • Have you ever encountered a UFO? How do you explain others' "close encounters"?
  • Who should select textbooks for primary and secondary education?
  • Do you agree with Jefferson that those with alternative religious beliefs, or NO religious beliefs, do you no harm?
  • Have you ever been involved in an interminable debate that finally ended when someone clarified the definitions of the terms involved? Are most philosophical disputes like that?
  • Can something be true, but then later found to be false? Can a statement that was previously false be made true by events? (Consider: if you'd said "Neil Armstrong walked on the moon" in 1968...)
  • Should we distinguish provisional, falsifiable truth from ultimate truth?
  • Does it really "work" to believe in Santa? Didn't you continue to receive presents after you stopped believing? Is believing in Santa analogous to believing in God?
  • Are words tools, or more like pictures?
  • Is it possible that God is dead for some but not others, in some places and times more and in others less?
  • Are compassion and kindness distinctively religious values? Do you know any kind and compassionate atheists? ("Please allow me to introduce myself...")
  • Should we embrace the irrational and emotional aspects of human nature, or try to overcome them?
  • Is the "unconscious" well-supported scientifically? Does it need to be, in order to be useful to people in coming to terms with their own inner lives?
  • Is Freudian dream symbolism (snakes and caves etc.) profound or silly? Could it be both?
  • Have you ever committed an interesting Freudian slip?
  • What do you think of Freud's account of religion?
  • Your DQs



Robert Richardson's terrific James biography... Richardson speaking at the 2010 Chocorua James conference (YouTube)... Peirce's pragmatic maxim (in Richardson)... The pragmatic attitude (in Menand's Metaphysical Club... James on The Sentiment of Rationality and The Dilemma of Determinism...John Kaag, Hiking With Nietzsche (Longreads book excerpt)... Falling Out With Superman (nyt-on Nietzsche)... a skeptical critique of Freud... Story Corps at Thanksgiving... Should frats be scrapped?

==
Falling Out With Superman
Istumbled upon Friedrich Nietzsche when I was 17, following the usual trail of existential candies -- Camus, Sartre, Beckett -- that unsuspecting teenagers find in the woods. The effect was more like a drug than a philosophy. I was whirled upward -- or was it downward? -- into a one-man universe, a secret cult demanding that you put a gun to the head of your dearest habits and beliefs. That intoxicating whiff of half-conscious madness; that casually hair-raising evisceration of everything moral, responsible and parentally approved -- these waves overwhelmed my adolescent dinghy. And even more than by his ideas -- many of which I didn't understand at all, but some of which I perhaps grasped better then than I do now -- I was seduced by his prose. At the end of his sentences you could hear an electric crack, like the whip of a steel blade being tested in the air. He might have been the Devil, but he had better lines than God.
I was sold. Like those German soldiers in World War I who were found dead with copies of ''Thus Spake Zarathustra'' in their pockets, I hauled my tattered purple-covered copy of the Viking Portable Nietzsche with me everywhere. It was with me when I dropped out of college after a semester to go work in a shipyard, with me years later when, sitting on a knoll on a tiny island off Vancouver, I decided to wake up from my dream of total escape and go back to school. I read him to elevate myself, to punish myself, to remind myself of the promises I had broken. He was the closest thing I had to a church.
Eventually, I stopped going to church. There were various reasons for this, some of them good and some of them not; I couldn't sort out which was which then, and can't now. Maybe it was just satiation. The philosopher John Searle once told me that reading Nietzsche was like drinking cognac -- a sip was good, but you didn't want to drink the whole bottle. I'd been pounding Nietzsche by the case.
So I left Nietzsche alone on his mountaintop. But as every lapsed believer knows, you never wholly escape the church. Nietzsche had come to stand for something absolute and pure, like gilded Byzantium or Ahab's whale; he represented what I imagined I might have been. He had become a permanent horizon.
Oddly, during this long, strange love affair, I avoided learning much about Nietzsche's life. Maybe this was because I had turned him into a shrine -- after all, totems have no history. I knew only the superficials: that he was a desperately lonely man, poor and largely unread, plagued by bad health, who went mad at the age of 44.
Then, last summer, I planned a trip to Switzerland. As a highlight, I decided to visit Sils-Maria -- the small village near St. Moritz where Nietzsche spent seven summers and wrote many of his masterpieces. The tourist soon won out over the iconoclast: now that I was going to stand where the Master stood, I couldn't pretend I didn't care about how he lived, what people he liked, what he wore. So I immersed myself in various biographical accounts: ''Nietzsche in Turin,'' Lesley Chamberlain's psychologically penetrating book about the philosopher's final year; Ronald Hayman's challenging ''Nietzsche: A Critical Life''; and a book that only a Nietzsche cultist would consume, ''The Good European: Nietzsche's Work Sites in Word and Image.''
It wasn't the grand narrative of his life but the details that stayed with me. The joke photograph in which he and his friend Paul Ree posed in a cart over which Lou Salome, the 21-year-old woman with whom he was timidly, desperately in love, held a whip. Nietzsche in the Caligari-shadowed last days of his sanity, once again turning himself into a character in an unhappy novel, lamenting that a journey was ''perhaps the most unfortunate I have made'' simply because he had climbed aboard the wrong train. The fact that he liked ''Tom Sawyer.'' The solicitude of an old female friend who tried to buck him up but was unable to teach him not to let everything wound him. The visitor who simply reported how much he liked Herr Nietzsche, the lonely, earnest professor with the bad eyes.
This wasn't the Nietzsche I remembered. The philosopher I had worshiped was an uncanny hybrid, simultaneously a terrifying Old Testament prophet and a 19th-century free spirit. To be sure, much of Nietzsche -- maybe the best of him -- was as lucid, critical and quick-footed as Stendhal. Yet it was the monstrous doctrines at the heart of his thought -- the Overman, the Eternal Recurrence -- that had drawn me; they hypnotized me because I couldn't figure out whether they were coming from man or some frightening gospel. Now that I understood how much of Nietzsche's work was an attempt to turn his personal torment into something lasting, I realized that perhaps those enigmatic pronouncements were best seen not as antitruths handed down from on high, but as words he whispered to himself, beacons he lighted in the darkness to cheer himself up. What was great in Nietzsche was not, I began to see, his holiness, maybe not even his wisdom. It was his courage.
Then I went to Sils.
Sils-Maria is a bland one-horse resort village under spectacular mountains between two crystalline lakes. Terminally respectable Swiss burghers polish their vacation homes; tourists (''They climb mountains like animals, stupid and sweating,'' Nietzsche wrote) fill the hotels. The Nietzsche-Haus stands near the center. In his day it was a tea and spice shop whose owner rented an upstairs room to Nietzsche; now it is a museum. In front of the tidy white-and-green building stands a sculpture of a large black eagle -- one of the companions that consoled Zarathustra in his last loneliness. On a gray afternoon I pulled open the door and climbed the stairs to his room.
No one was there. I looked in. A small, low-ceilinged room, walls of knotty pine. A lumpy-looking bed. A small table with a green silk cover. A washbasin. A single window, looking out onto a patch of the forest.
We go to literary shrines to touch things. We run our fingers along the writing table, we furtively step over the red velvet rope and finger the water jug by the edge of the bed. Yet to feel the pedestal is to call the very idea of the pedestal into question. Which is why there is something comic in all pilgrimages: while Don Quixote holds loftily forth, Sancho Panza steals the ashtray.
But as I ran my fingertips along the knotty pine, it all rose up: the indelible words that had been created here; the misery of the man who had shivered out his life in this room; and all the years I had spent charting my course by a dream. Standing outside in the hallway, I was surprised to find myself beginning to weep, like the most breast-heaving pilgrim.
A familiar voice, very old and once sacred to me, protested. I could not pity Nietzsche. It was a betrayal of everything he had believed. He had railed against pity. Compassion was for the hearth-huddlers, the followers, those who lacked the strength to turn themselves into ''dancing stars.'' The last temptation of the higher man, Nietzsche had taught, was pity; on its far side was a roaring, Dionysian, inhuman laughter.
I could recite this chapter and verse, but I had never been able to live it. It was the most alien and terrifying of Nietzsche's teachings. Still, long reverence pulled me up short. Here, of all places, I must feel no pity.
But my heart won the war. Maybe it was resignation -- the final acceptance that I was not going to forge myself into a new shape. Maybe it was weariness with a doctrine, with all doctrines, that sounded delirious but that couldn't be used. Whatever it was, I stopped fighting. Yes, part of Nietzsche would always stand far above the tree line, and I would treasure that iciness. But I had to walk on the paths where I could go.
Still confused, I stood in the doorway. And then, as a gift, the following words came into my head, words spoken by Zarathustra to his disciples, disciples that Nietzsche himself never had. ''You revere me; but what if your reverence tumbles one day? Beware lest a statue slay you. You say you believe in Zarathustra? But what matters Zarathustra? . . . Now I bid you lose me and find yourselves; and only when you have all denied me will I return to you.''
I took a last look at the room. Then I walked out the door. 

NYT... Gary Kamiya is executive editor of the online magazine Salon.com.
==
by John Kaag  (excerpt)
I often tell my students that philosophy saved my life. And it’s true. But on that first trip to Sils-Maria—on my way to Piz Corvatsch—it nearly killed me. It was 1999, and I was in the process of writing a thesis about genius, insanity, and aesthetic experience in the writings of Nietzsche and his American contemporary Ralph Waldo Emerson. On the sheltered brink of my twenties, I’d rarely ventured beyond the invisible walls of central Pennsylvania, so my adviser pulled some administrative strings and found a way for me to escape. At the end of my junior­ year he handed me an unmarked envelope—inside was a check for three thousand dollars. “You should go to Basel,” he suggested, probably knowing full well that I wouldn’t stay there.
Basel was a turning point, a pivot between Nietzsche’s early conventional life as a scholar and his increasingly erratic existence as Europe’s philosopher-poet. He had come to the city in 1869 as the youngest tenured faculty member at the University of Basel. In the ensuing years he would write his first book, The Birth of Tragedy, in which he argued that the allure of tragedy was its ability to harmonize the two competing urges of being human: the desire for order and the strange but undeniable longing for chaos. When I arrived in Basel, still a teenager, I couldn’t help thinking that the first of these drives—an obsessive craving for stability and reason that Nietzsche termed “the Apollonian”—had gotten the better of modern society.
The train station in Basel is a model of Swiss precision—beautiful people in beautiful clothes glide through a grand­ atrium to meet trains that never fail to run on time. Across the street stands a massive cylindrical skyscraper, home to the Bank for International Settlements (BIS), the most powerful financial institution in the world. I exited the station and ate my breakfast outside the bank as a throng of well-suited Apollos vanished inside on their way to work. “The educated classes,” Nietzsche explained, “are being swept along by a hugely contemptible money economy.” The prospects for life in modern capitalist society were lucrative but nonetheless bleak: “The world has never been so worldly, never poorer in love and goodness.” (continues)
==
Old post-
Peirce & James, LISTEN: Robert Talisse on Pragmatism (PB)... Podcast... Also see "On a Certain Blindness in Human Beings" and "Sentiment of Rationality/Dilemma of Determinism"

The essence of belief is the establishment of a habit; and different beliefs are distinguished by the different modes of action to which they give rise.
Charles Sanders Peirce's quote #1 

Image result for william james quotes


DQ
1. Will there ever be an end of science, or a complete catalog of truths?

2. Do you agree that a "distinction without a (practical) difference" is irrelevant, and that truth and falsehood are practically the same if you can't specify the difference? 

3. When James said truth is what works, did he mean what works for me, now? Or for us, on the whole and in the long run? Does this matter, practically? Does it bear on Bertrand Russell's criticism?

4. Do you think of words as tools for expressing your ideas and feelings, communicating with yourself and others, and generally "coping"... or as mental photographs that copy the world? Could they be both? What would it be like to have no words? (Could you even think about that, or about anything?) Do words ever get in the way of thought, or distort it?

5. What makes an idea valuable to you?

6. What's the difference between a fiction and a lie? Can fiction convey truth?
==
William James would agree:



Marco Rubio said in last night's (11.10/15) GOP debate: "Welders make more money than philosophers. We need more welders and less philosophers." William James would disagree. We need more philosophical welders, business-people, people generally... so we need more philosophers.

An old post-
April 21, 2015
It's Peirce and James (and Vandy's Robert Talisse on the pragmatists and truth)...

Through the years I've written repeatedly and delightedly on PeirceJames, and Nietzsche@dawn, especially WJ.


I’m not especially pleased with Nigel Warburton’s take on James, true enough to the letter but not at all to the spirit of his pragmatic conception of truth. More on that later. At least he gets thesquirrel right.



               
Here's what James actually said, about the squirrel and about pragmatism's conception of truth:
...Mindful of the scholastic adage that whenever you meet a contradiction you must make a distinction, I immediately sought and found one, as follows: "Which party is right," I said, "depends on what you PRACTICALLY MEAN by 'going round' the squirrel. If you mean passing from the north of him to the east, then to the south, then to the west, and then to the north of him again, obviously the man does go round him, for he occupies these successive positions. But if on the contrary you mean being first in front of him, then on the right of him, then behind him, then on his left, and finally in front again, it is quite as obvious that the man fails to go round him, for by the compensating movements the squirrel makes, he keeps his belly turned towards the man all the time, and his back turned away. Make the distinction, and there is no occasion for any farther dispute. You are both right and both wrong according as you conceive the verb 'to go round' in one practical fashion or the other."
Altho one or two of the hotter disputants called my speech a shuffling evasion, saying they wanted no quibbling or scholastic hair-splitting, but meant just plain honest English 'round,' the majority seemed to think that the distinction had assuaged the dispute.



I tell this trivial anecdote because it is a peculiarly simple example of what I wish now to speak of as THE PRAGMATIC METHOD. The pragmatic method is primarily a method of settling metaphysical disputes that otherwise might be interminable. Is the world one or many?—fated or free?—material or spiritual?—here are notions either of which may or may not hold good of the world; and disputes over such notions are unending. The pragmatic method in such cases is to try to interpret each notion by tracing its respective practical consequences. What difference would it practically make to anyone if this notion rather than that notion were true? If no practical difference whatever can be traced, then the alternatives mean practically the same thing, and all dispute is idle. Whenever a dispute is serious, we ought to be able to show some practical difference that must follow from one side or the other's being right... Pragmatism, Lecture II
==
Truth, as any dictionary will tell you, is a property of certain of our ideas. It means their 'agreement,' as falsity means their disagreement, with 'reality.' Pragmatists and intellectualists both accept this definition as a matter of course. They begin to quarrel only after the question is raised as to what may precisely be meant by the term 'agreement,' and what by the term 'reality,' when reality is taken as something for our ideas to agree with...
Pragmatism asks its usual question. "Grant an idea or belief to be true," it says, "what concrete difference will its being true make in anyone's actual life? How will the truth be realized? What experiences will be different from those which would obtain if the belief were false? What, in short, is the truth's cash-value in experiential terms?"
The moment pragmatism asks this question, it sees the answer: TRUE IDEAS ARE THOSE THAT WE CAN ASSIMILATE, VALIDATE, CORROBORATE AND VERIFY. FALSE IDEAS ARE THOSE THAT WE CANNOT. That is the practical difference it makes to us to have true ideas; that, therefore, is the meaning of truth, for it is all that truth is known-as...
...truth is ONE SPECIES OF GOOD, and not, as is usually supposed, a category distinct from good, and co-ordinate with it. THE TRUE IS THE NAME OF WHATEVER PROVES ITSELF TO BE GOOD IN THE WAY OF BELIEF, AND GOOD, TOO, FOR DEFINITE, ASSIGNABLE REASONS... 
Certain ideas are not only agreeable to think about, or agreeable as supporting other ideas that we are fond of, but they are also helpful in life's practical struggles. If there be any life that it is really better we should lead, and if there be any idea which, if believed in, would help us to lead that life, then it would be really BETTER FOR US to believe in that idea, UNLESS, INDEED, BELIEF IN IT INCIDENTALLY CLASHED WITH OTHER GREATER VITAL BENEFITS.
'What would be better for us to believe'! This sounds very like a definition of truth. It comes very near to saying 'what we OUGHT to believe': and in THAT definition none of you would find any oddity. Ought we ever not to believe what it is BETTER FOR US to believe? And can we then keep the notion of what is better for us, and what is true for us, permanently apart?
Pragmatism says no... Pragmatism, Lec. VI

This is a contentious and contestable view, admittedly, but it is not the caricatured reduction to whatever is "expedient" in a situation James's critics (like Bertrand Russell) made it out to be. It's more like Richard Rorty's invitation to an open and ongoing conversation between all comers with something to contribute. It is decidedly not a "Santa Claus" philosophy of truth.

James may have been wrong about truth, but (to paraphrase A.C. Grayling's comment on Descartes) if he was, he was interestingly, constructively, engagingly, entertainingly, provocatively wrong.

Besides, he's the best writer in the James family (sorry, Henry) and possibly the best writer in the entire stable of American philosophers. I call him my favorite because he's the one I'd most like to invite to the Boulevard for a beer. Unfortunately he didn't drink. (Too bad they don't serve nitrous oxide.) Also, unfortunately, he died in 1910. Read his letters and correspondence, they humanize his philosophy and place his "radical" views in the context of their genesis: the context of experience, and of life.

They also counter my friend Talisse's hasty semi-assent to Nigel's outrageous misreading of the pragmatists as missing "a sense of awe and wonder." James had it in spades, and so did Dewey and Peirce in their own ways. Likewise Rorty, who did not like being called a "relativist" and who would not agree that "Nazism and western liberal democracy are the same." Not at all.

But, I do think Talisse does a good job of summarizing James's rejection of "truth-as-correspondence" as an unhelpful formula, once you move past trivial matters like catching the bus. He's also correct in pointing out James's interest in religion as rooted in the lives and experience of individuals, not particularly in God, heaven, the afterlife and so on. He psychologizes and naturalizes religion. It's mostly about life on earth, for Jamesians, not (again) about Santa.

26 comments:

  1. Here is my presentation blogpost for Cosmic Philosophy (posted on the midterm post as well):

    For my presentation, I will be covering the idea of Cosmic Philosophy, or better put, the Philosophy of Cosmology. This, in essence, means thinking deeply about the origins and nature of the universe. Cosmology itself is this. It is the studying of event like the big bang and what has led up to us existing as we do on planet Earth today. This presentation, which I’ll be giving in class, will discuss certain ideas of Cosmic Philosophy along with some famous astronomers who have themselves indulged in it. One we know well already, that being Carl Sagan, for he has been mentioned numerous times during our lectures. I connect the ideas of this presentation to Chapter 28 of Little History, which cover Peirce and James. I will specifically focus of William James and his ideas of pragmatism and how this links to cosmology and why I believe it could be subjective- being up to your own thoughts. Because of my own personal connection to the topic and my love for outer space, I will include many of my own thoughts and ideas. One such idea I will discuss is called “Optimistic Nihilism.” An idea created by the YouTube channel, Kurzgesagt, it is personally one of my favorite methods of thinking when it comes to ideas like, existential crises, which are not uncommon when you think about the origin and fate of the universe. This idea will be further discussed in the presentation, but I have included the link below with my sources. I will see you all there!

    DQ: Is it more comforting or scary to think that the Universe will one day die? Even if it’s long after we’ve all passed on, and very long after the Sun has engulfed the Earth?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBRqu0YOH14
    https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/cosmology/
    https://www.realclearscience.com/articles/2014/05/22/why_does_neil_degrasse_tyson_hate_philosophy.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is scary, but there is hope that we could find a way to escapa and/or evolve to survive. Personally, though I fear for future generations, I do not think it will have any impact on me, during my lifetime.

      Delete
  2. HO3
    Are compassion and kindness distinctively religious values? Do you know any kind and compassionate atheists?
    I don't think they're distinctively religious traits, but I do think they are expected traits from a religious person. My best friend doesn't practice any religion and she is the most giving, kind person I know.

    What makes an idea valuable to you?
    When it either matters a lot to the person sharing it, or it's beneficial to the world and others. Also just interesting random pieces of thought that will keep me entertained I see as valuable, even if they might not be exactly useful.

    Where did Nietzsche think Christian values come from?
    From slave morality in Ancient Greece, because instead of wealth and strength being virtues, they turned kindness and generosity to slaves into something "good".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that compassion and kindness are not distinctively religious values. I know so many people that are not considered religious that possess these values in their lives.

      Delete
  3. H1
    1. What's the point of James's squirrel story?
    If you think of circling in one definition the answer is yes, but if you think of it in a sense of they are always face to face the answer is no. Pragmatism is concerned with practical consequences...the cash value of thought. If nothing hangs on the answer, it doesnt really matter what you decide.

    2. Who said truth is what we would end up with if we could run all the experiments and investigations we'd like to? (And what's a word his name rhymes with?)
    CS Pierce rhymes with hearse

    3. What did Bertrand Russell say about James's theory of truth?
    That James must believe in Santa Claus because James thinks that all that makes a sentence true is the effect on the believer of believing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (H03) “Are words tools, or more like pictures?”
    I believe they are both. Words often paint a picture and these pictures are used as tools. Certain words are more of a picture, like nouns, but others, such as verbs, are more like a tool.
    “Should we embrace the irrational and emotional aspects of human nature, or try to overcome them?”
    Trying to overcome those impacts of human nature is futile. We can not overcome human nature, but either way I think the emotional aspects of life are what what makes life worth living. Happiness is an emotion and if we somehow tried to get rid our need for happiness, we would be miserable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. h2
    Are compassion and kindness distinctively religious values? Do you know any kind and compassionate atheists?

    Compassion and kindness are not really religious values. Yes, most religions want their participants to be compassionate and kind, however, even people who do not belong to an organized religion still believe to be compassionate and kind. I have met atheists that are compassionate and kind. Compassion and kindness are
    personal values, not religious values. Anyone belonging to any religion or belief, or people who do not have religious beliefs are compassionate and kind. Being a good person is not a religious value, more of a moral value.

    ReplyDelete
  6. h2
    Are words tools, or more like pictures?

    Words, to me, are both tools and pictures. When I read or someone is telling a story, I take the word and create a picture from it. But, words can also be tools. You can use words to build and argument and make it greater. You can use words to show happiness, sadness, or any emotion. Words have connotation and meaning that can be used as tools. However, when I hear words, I mainly string them together instead of focusing on one words. I make phrases and envision them in my head as pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can something be true, but then later found to be false? Can a statement that was previously false be made true by events? (Consider: if you'd said "Neil Armstrong walked on the moon" in 1968...)

    This happens in science all the time. Especially with space. People once thought the earth was flat (and some still do), but it has been clearly proven that it isn't. People once thought the earth was at the center of the universe but it appears we orbit a star, which orbits a much, much larger galaxy called the Milky Way. The laws of physics are all pretty finite and tangible themselves until you put them up to really abstract concepts like black holes and neutron stars. Calling something definitively true or false is difficult when we can't study it or see it for ourselves.

    Is it possible that God is dead for some but not others, in some places and times more and in others less?

    I think this goes against the already laid out concept of "God" in the first place. He's supposed to be a perfect being, and some may argue that being dead is pretty far from perfect. Perhaps there are times where an "absence" can be argued, but even this could conflict with the perfectness of God.

    ReplyDelete
  8. H03

    Can something be true, but then later found to be false? Can a statement that was previously false be made true by events? (Consider: if you'd said "Neil Armstrong walked on the moon" in 1968...)

    I do agree that things that were true before could later be proven to be false and vice versa. I feel like this happens because as people evolve so does science, technology, or ideas other people have and as time goes on individuals are able to recognize that some concepts in the world could be true or false later on in time.

    Should we distinguish provisional, falsifiable truth from ultimate truth?

    I think more people should distinguish provisional and falsifiable truths from ultimate truths because to me more people rely on alternative facts when it comes to living in their own reality.

    Are words tools, or more like pictures?

    Words can be both tools and like pictures. In a sense words are tools since they have numerous meanings to them that can change over time but also say if someone is writing poetry, making a post on social media, or even reading a book the reader or writer is able to picture words in their mind that can become images.

    Does it really "work" to believe in Santa? Didn't you continue to receive presents after you stopped believing? Is believing in Santa analogous to believing in God?

    Believing in Santa to me could work for a certain period of time before people decide to not believe in him anymore. In some ways the belief of God or Santa could be analogous because people can either choose to believe or not to believe in God or Santa.

    Are compassion and kindness distinctively religious values? Do you know any kind and compassionate atheists? ("Please allow me to introduce myself...")

    Though I feel like most religions align with the idea of compassion and kindness it honestly depends on the actual person and not necessarily if someone is religious or an atheist. Because personally I have met people who are religious and they’re not understanding, or kind and I have met people who are caring and kind that don’t follow a religion.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your compassion and kindness question. I wouldn't say those virtues define either, or apply specifically to either one.

      Delete
  9. H2
    Are compassion and kindness distinctively religious values? Do you know any kind and compassionate atheists?

    No they are not distinctively religious values. Sure most religions contain those values and talk about them but that doesn't mean an atheist can't have them as well. I know quite a few atheists and a majority of them are great people. I think people naturally have compassion and kindness because that's just how they are and they don't need a religion to tell them to have it.

    What makes an idea valuable to you?

    What makes an idea valuable to me is how passionate I am about it. The more time and thought I put into something the more value I put into it.

    Should we embrace the irrational and emotional aspects of human nature, or try to overcome them?

    Yes, we absolutely should embrace humanities irrationality and emotional aspects. Some of the greatest feelings are the most irrational ones. Love is a great example. When you love someone or something you would do anything for them. Love is irrational, emotional, and complicated and so overcoming human irrationality and emotions is something we shouldn't do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that compassion and kindness are not distinctively religious values. It is a part of a good person and should not require the influence of a God/ fear of a bad afterlife.

      Delete
  10. Will there ever be an end of science, or a complete catalog of truths?

    (H2)

    I personally do not think that there will ever be an end to science. There is just so much information out in the world that we have not yet discovered. We haven't even discovered half of the information about the ocean, for example. Things are constantly evolving and adapting to their environments. There is always going to be more information for us to discover and learn.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What makes an idea valuable to you?\

    (H2)

    I personally think that any idea that I can benefit from or that is well structured is valuable to me. If someone comes up with an idea and it was well thought out and planned, and it also had some benefit to my life, I would consider it to be extremely valuable and important to me and my life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is the "unconscious" well-supported scientifically? Does it need to be, in order to be useful to people in coming to terms with their own inner lives?

    (H2)

    I personally have had a lot of research on the purpose of the unconscious and how it works. I think to the best of our knowledge, the unconscious is very much well supported, especially in psychology. I also think this is the reason that Cognitive Behavioral Therapy exists. This type of therapy is focused on how the unconscious drives us to do the things that we do, and how the things in our childhood unconsciously affect the way we operate as a whole. I think in order for us to fully understand our potential and who we really are, we need to acknowledge the fact that we have an unconscious that drives us to do the things that we do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigmund Freud actually discusses this idea a lot in his research https://www.freud.org.uk/education/resources/what-is-the-unconscious/

      Delete
  13. What makes an idea valuable to you?
    For me, I think for an idea to be valuable to me, it has to appeal to me in regards to my beliefs, opinions, and things I consider to be interesting. Ideas can cater to anyone but to make it more personal, connecting what we value most in our lives and focusing on our morals helps to centralize those ideas.

    Should we embrace the irrational and emotional aspects of human nature, or try to overcome them?
    I think that we should embrace them because these are what define us as a person. Dealing with the irrational and emotional aspects allows us to grow and discover who we truly are. If we try to overcome them, we're missing out on the potential understanding and possible growth that can be uncovered from these moments.

    Are words tools, or more like pictures?
    I would say that words are tools that can be used to make pictures. Words are very powerful, even in today's society. They hold the power to make or break someone, so I would consider them a tool that needs to be controlled. Formulating the correct words can lead to pictures but not the other way around. We as humans are in control of our words, thus providing the metaphor of a tool that we can manipulate and use.

    ReplyDelete
  14. (H03)

    Have you ever encountered a UFO? How do you explain others' "close encounters"?

    Strictly speaking, yes I have by the exact definition of "Unidentified flying object". In the spirit of the question, not in my current memories. I think that UFOs can often come as a mix of factors, being testing equipment such as balloons or government planes and concept tests, overworked or tired pilots and workers, those that just want money or attention, extreme paranoia or mental illness, and drugs. There is also the very great possibility that people did see things, or mistakenly think they saw things. It's been proven in studies that questioning or going over a memory will reinforce it, even if it never happened (ex: saying "what color was the bag" will lead to fabrication of a bag, and a color. Further questioning makes this a concrete memory that someone will defend, even if there was no bag or even a table to sit one on).


    1. Will there ever be an end of science, or a complete catalog of truths?

    I do not believe so. Any science leads to more science. The development of new technology forces research using said technology, and to advance. The more we discover, the more we know what we don't understand (such as telescopes showing us just how much was in our system, and satellites showing so much more in the stars beyond.) The idea that any generation could know all the truths is ludicrous in the volume of them, even given immortality.


    Are words tools, or more like pictures?

    I would argue that pictures can be tools, and the value and use of words matter depending on the intentions of the speaker or writer and the listener's own interpretation. Most of the time, they are used as tools to convince, befriend, or transfer knowledge to someone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. H01
      That is interesting what you said about ufos, i never thought about like that.

      Delete
  15. H3
    Kaag agrees with Thoreau that one of walking's greatest gifts is time. How so? Do you feel like you have enough time?
    I think time is one of the greatest gifts. There are many ways to spend it and it is up to oneself to use it wisely. I feel like I have enough time when I prioritize it, but when I let myself get distracted from getting work done I feel like I'm running out of time quicker than normal.

    Are words tools or more like pictures?
    I think words can be both tools and pictures simultaneously. Words are like tools because we can use them specifically to inform, persuade, or many other things to get our point across. On the other hand, words can be pictures because we can use imagery to describe things and create, what my communications teacher likes to call, "mind movies".

    ReplyDelete
  16. H01
    Have you ever been involved in an interminable debate that finally ended when someone clarified the definitions of the terms involved? Are most philosophical disputes like that?
    Yes I think that is the case alot of the times. I think many times the dispute and ignorance of a definition is what starts an argument.

    Are compassion and kindness distinctively religious values? Do you know any kind and compassionate atheists?
    I would say they are, but not limited to being religious values since many religions teach about living by virtue. e.g. "Love your neighbor" from The Bible. I have encountered atheists and believers who both have shown kindness and compassion.

    Should we embrace the irrational and emotional aspects of human nature, or try to overcome them?
    I think it's important to embrace them, but also learn about the causes of of those aspects of life.

    ReplyDelete
  17. H01
    1. What's the point of James's squirrel story?
    -It begs the question “So What” meaning that the answer has no real signifigance

    2. Who said truth is what we would end up with if we could run all the experiments and investigations we'd like to? (And what's a word his name rhymes with?)
    -C.S. Pierce rhymes with purse

    3. What did Bertrand Russell say about James's theory of truth?
    -It is like believing Santa is real because all that makes a sentence true is the effect on the believer of believing it

    4. What 20th-century philosopher carried on the pragmatist tradition? What did he say about the way words work?
    -Richard Rorty, words are tools we do things with

    5. What did Nietzsche mean by "God is dead"? (And what's a word his name rhymes with?)
    -Belief in God is now unreasonable. (Peachey)

    6. Where did Nietzsche think Christian values come from?
    -Came from envy

    7. What is an Ubermensch, and why does Nigel find it "a bit worrying"?
    -It was used by Nazis to support theory on the master race.

    8. How did Nietzsche differ from Kant but anticipate Freud?
    -He always emphasized how emotions and irrational forces play their part in shaping human values

    9. What were the three great revolutions in thought, according to Freud?
    -Copernican revolution, Evolution, and the unconscious

    10. The "talking cure" gave birth to what?
    -psychoanalysis

    11. Why did Freud think people believe in God?
    - you still feel the need for protection that you felt as a very small child

    12. What was Karl Popper's criticism of Freudian psychoanalysis?
    -described many of the ideas of psychoanalysis as ‘unfalsifiable’- couldn’t be tested

    Who should select textbooks for primary and secondary education?
    -Textbooks should be selected by an expert on the topic such as the teacher of the class

    Do you agree with Jefferson that those with alternative religious beliefs, or NO religious beliefs, do you no harm?
    -Yes, why would I care about what everyone else thinks about God. It has no effect on me.

    Are compassion and kindness distinctively religious values? Do you know any kind and compassionate atheists? ("Please allow me to introduce myself...")
    -No, compassion and kindness can be had without the fear of God.

    ReplyDelete
  18. H1
    What's the point of James's squirrel story?
    To show pragmatic philosophy.
     Who said truth is what we would end up with if we could run all the experiments and investigations we'd like to? (And what's a word his name rhymes with?)
    Peirce (purse)
    Is Freudian dream symbolism (snakes and caves etc.) profound or silly? Could it be both?
    I think it is silly. While some things have meaning, I think his symbolism is a stretch. When I have dreams, they are random, and dont include much sense. I have tried looking up things in my dreams, however nothing really come up on google I can apply to them.


    ReplyDelete