Up@dawn 2.0 (blogger)

Delight Springs

Thursday, October 14, 2021

"What do I know?"

 LISTEN. Today in Happiness we turn to more report presentations and to Sarah Bakewell's book about Montaigne, How to Live: Or a Life of Montaigne in One Question and Twenty Attempts at an Answer.

First inessential question: 

How to pronounce his name? I'm just going to go ahead and anglicize it. Mon-tane. Two syllables, no lilt or continental inflection. We're not French here in middle Tennessee, though we do sometimes add gratuitous syllables. Give him a "ye" at the end if you must. But what do I know?

That was his slogan. Or one of them. Another: ‘I am a man and think nothing human is foreign to me’... Rendered in Latin on one of the beams of his tower refuge... (continues)


No comments:

Post a Comment