Up@dawn 2.0 (blogger)

Delight Springs

Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Questions SEP 24

Sections #H2 & #H3 (afternoon classes) meet in library today (Th Sep 24)

Presentations-#1 Avery Evans-Berkeley/. Amanda-Hume. #2 Violet Smith-Rousseau. Elliott Kerouac-Leibniz #3 Gracie-Hume


LHP

1. How did Samuel Johnson "refute" Berkeley's theory? Did he succeed? Why or why not?

2. What made Berkeley an idealist, and an immaterialist? Are you one, the other, both, neither?

3. In what way did Berkeley claim to be more consistent than Locke? DId Berkeley have a point about that?

4. What was Berkeley's Latin slogan? Do you think existence depends upon being perceived?

5. What obvious difficulty does Berkeley's theory face? Is it possible to have ideas that are consistent (non-contradictory) but still about non-realities?

6. What English poet declared that "whatever is, is right," and what German philosopher (with his "Principle of Sufficient Reason") agreed with the poet? Does this imply that nothing is ever wrong or bad? Is it really possible or reasonable to believe this?

7. What French champion of free speech and religious toleration wrote a satirical novel/play ridiculing the idea that everything is right (for the best)? 

8. What 1755 catastrophe deeply influenced Voltaire's philosophy? Do you have a philosophical perspective on natural catastrophes that makes rational and moral sense of them?

9. What did Voltaire mean by "cultivating our garden"? Do you agree with hin?

10. Did Hume think the human eye is so flawless in its patterned intricacy that, like Paley's watch, it constitutes powerful evidence of intelligent design? Why would an omnipotent designer design a flawed organ?

11. What was Hume's definition of "miracle"? Did he think we should usually believe others' reports of having witnessed a miracle? Where would you draw the line between events that are highly improbable and events that are impossible (according to known laws)?

12. Rousseau said we're born free but everywhere are in ____, but can liberate ourselves by submitting to what is best for the whole community, aka the _______. Are we all more free when we act not only for ourselves but for the good of the whole community (world, species)?


SSHM ch3-

1. James wrote Principles of Psychology to answer what question?

2. What did Aristotle say about habit?

3. What realization would make young people give more heed to their conduct?

4. James complained in 1884 that what devoured his time?

5. James thought everybody should do what each day?


Weiner ch3

  1. What were Rousseau's "multitudes"? Most of all he was a ___.  Are you one?
  2. Rousseau's philosophy can be summed up in what four words? What does he claim is our "natural state"? (Note the contrast with Hobbes's "state of nature" that we previously discussed.) Do you agree more with him, with Hobbes, or with neither? Is it prudent to generalize about human nature?
  3. Who were some other peripatetics (walking philosophers) named by Weiner? This approach to thinking "gives the lie" to what myth? Do you know how Diogenes "solved" Zeno's paradoxes of motion? [See * below]
  4. How was Rousseau like Socrates? Are you, too?
  5. What is Rousseau's legacy to us? How does he contrast with Descartes? What did he foresee?
https://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks19/1900981h.html




Hume on miracles
"...In Hume’s ‘Of Miracles’ in Section X of his An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, he sets out what he considers a decisive case to show that we are not justified in believing in miracles. Beginning with the proposition that we should proportion our belief in accordance with the strength of the available evidence, Hume observes that the sole evidence most of us ever have for any miracle is usually that of the testimony of others. But hearsay is not particularily strong evidence. He goes on to conclude that the testimony in favour of a miracle can never balance, let alone outweigh, the evidence a gainst it, especially when it contravenes accepted natural law...

...I have not seen anyone raised from the dead, nor have I seen the Sun dance in the sky. On the other hand, I do not wish to seem rude by impugning the integrity of people who do claim to have witnessed such things. I suspect that such events will be fondly remembered as highlights of their lives. Therefore, with Hume, I take the polite course, and can only comment that, not having seen it for myself, I will always have better reasons for not believing such reports than for believing them." Paul Warwick

HWT

1. In what way was the idea of a separable soul a "corruption"? What French philosopher of the 17th century defended it? What Scottish skeptic of the 18th century disputed it?

2. What do Owen Flanagan's findings suggest, that contrasts with Aristotle's view of human nature?

3. If you ask an American and a Japanese about their occupation, how might they respond differently?


FL

1. What amazing theme park was erected in Brooklyn at the turn of the 20th century?

2. Who was Robert Love Taylor?

3. What was Birth of a Nation?

4. What did H.L. Mencken say about southerners?

5. What did The New Theology say about the supernatural?

6. How did Modernists reconcile science and religion?

7. What famous trial was held in Tennessee in 1925, and what did Clarence Darrow say about it, and what was its cultural impact?



 
==
Peripatetic philosophy:
* The Gymnasiums of the Mind
...pondering the happy connection between philosophy and a good brisk walk.

If there is one idea intellectuals can agree upon it is that the act of ambulation – or as we say in the midwest, walking – often serves as a catalyst to creative contemplation and thought. It is a belief as old as the dust that powders the Acropolis, and no less fine. Followers of the Greek Aristotle were known as peripatetics because they passed their days strolling and mind-wrestling through the groves of the Academe. The Romans’ equally high opinion of walking was summed up pithily in the Latin proverb: “It is solved by walking.” [Solvitur ambulando, as Diogenes said to Zeno as he literally walked away in demonstrating motion and change]

Nearly every philosopher-poet worth his salt has voiced similar sentiments. Erasmus recommended a little walk before supper and “after supper do the same.” Thomas Hobbes had an inkwell built into his walking stick to more easily jot down his brainstorms during his rambles. Jean- Jacques Rousseau claimed he could only meditate when walking: “When I stop, I cease to think,” he said. “My mind only works with my legs.” Søren Kierkegaard believed he’d walked himself into his best thoughts. In his brief life Henry David Thoreau walked an estimated 250,000 miles, or ten times the circumference of earth. “I think that I cannot preserve my health and spirits,” wrote Thoreau, “unless I spend four hours a day at least – and it is commonly more than that – sauntering through the woods and over the hills and fields absolutely free from worldly engagements.” Thoreau’s landlord and mentor Ralph Waldo Emerson characterized walking as “gymnastics for the mind.”

In order that he might remain one of the fittest, Charles Darwin planted a 1.5 acre strip of land with hazel, birch, privet, and dogwood, and ordered a wide gravel path built around the edge. Called Sand-walk, this became Darwin’s ‘thinking path’ where he roamed every morning and afternoon with his white fox-terrier. Of Bertrand Russell, long-time friend Miles Malleson has written: “Every morning Bertie would go for an hour’s walk by himself, composing and thinking out his work for that day. He would then come back and write for the rest of the morning, smoothly, easily and without a single correction.”

None of these laggards, however, could touch Friedrich Nietzsche, who held that “all truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.” Rising at dawn, Nietzsche would stalk through the countryside till 11 a.m. Then, after a short break, he would set out on a two-hour hike through the forest to Lake Sils. After lunch he was off again, parasol in hand, returning home at four or five o’clock, to commence the day’s writing.

Not surprisingly, the romantic poets were walkers extraordinaire. William Wordsworth traipsed fourteen or so miles a day through the Lake District, while Coleridge and Shelley were almost equally energetic. According to biographer Leslie Stephen, “The (English) literary movement at the end of the 18th century was…due in great part, if not mainly, to the renewed practice of walking.”

Armed with such insights, one must wonder whether the recent decline in walking hasn’t led to a corresponding decline in thinking. Walking, as both a mode of transportation and a recreational activity, began to fall off noticeably with the rise of the automobile, and took a major nosedive in the 1950s. Fifty plus years of automobile-centric design has reduced the number of sidewalks and pedestrian-friendly spaces to a bare minimum (particularly in the American west). All of the benefits of walking: contemplation, social intercourse, exercise, have been willingly exchanged for the dubious advantages of speed and convenience, although the automobile alone cannot be blamed for the maddening acceleration of everyday life. The modern condition is one of hurry, a perpetual rush hour that leaves little time for meditation. No wonder then that in her history of walking, Rebecca Solnit mused that “modern life is moving faster than the speed of thought, or thoughtfulness,” which seems the antithesis of Wittgenstein’s observation that in the race of philosophy, the prize goes to the slowest.

If we were to compare the quantity and quality of thinkers of the early 20th century with those of today, one cannot help but notice the dearth of Einsteins, William Jameses, Eliots and Pounds, Freuds, Jungs, Keynes, Picassos, Stravinskys, Wittgensteins, Sartres, Deweys, Yeats and Joyces. But it would be foolish to suggest that we have no contemporaries equal to Freud, et al. That would be doing an injustice to Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, Edward O. Wilson, James D. Watson, and the recently departed Stephen J. Gould. But as to their walking habits, they varied. Gould, a soft, flabby man, made light of his lack of exercise. Edward O. Wilson writes that he “walks as much as (his) body allows,” and used to jog up until his forties. Watson, the discoverer of the DNA molecule, frequently haunts the grounds of the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, particularly on weekends, and is said to be both a nature-lover and bird-watcher.

There seems no scientific basis to link the disparate acts of walking and thinking, though that didn’t stop Mark Twain from speculating that “walking is good to time the movement of the tongue by, and to keep the blood and the brain stirred up and active.” Others have concluded that walking’s two-point rhythm clears the mind for creative study and reflection....

To paraphrase Thomas Jefferson, walking remains for me the best “of all exercises.” Even so, I am full of excuses to stay put. My neighborhood has no sidewalks and it is downright dangerous to stroll the streets at night; if the threat does not come directly from thugs, then from drunken teens in speeding cars. There are certainly no Philosophers’ Walks in my hometown, as there are near the universities of Toronto, Heidelberg, and Kyoto. Nor are there any woods, forests, mountains or glens. “When we walk, we naturally go to the fields and the woods,” said Thoreau. “What would become of us, if we only walked in a garden or a mall?” I suppose I am what becomes of us, Henry.

At noon, if the weather cooperates, I may join a few other nameless office drudges on a stroll through the riverfront park. My noon walk is a brief burst of freedom in an otherwise long, dreary servitude. Though I try to reserve these solitary walks for philosophical ruminations, my subconscious doesn’t always cooperate. Often I find my thoughts to be pedestrian and worrisome in nature. I fret over money problems, or unfinished office work and my attempts to brush these thoughts away as unworthy are rarely successful. Then, again, in the evenings I sometimes take my two dachshunds for a stroll. For a dog, going for a walk is the ultimate feelgood experience. Mention the word ‘walkies’ to a wiener dog, and he is immediately transported into new dimensions of bliss. I couldn’t produce a similar reaction in my wife if I proposed that we take the Concorde to Paris for the weekend. Rather than suffer a walk, my son would prefer to have his teeth drilled.

In no way am I suggesting that all of society’s ills can be cured by a renaissance of walking. But maybe – just maybe – a renewed interest in walking may spur some fresh scientific discoveries, a unique literary movement, a new vein of philosophy. If nothing else it will certainly improve our health both physically and mentally. Of course that would mean getting out from behind the desk at noon and getting some fresh air. That would mean shutting down the television in the evenings and breathing in the Great Outdoors. And, ultimately, it would involve a change in thinking and a shift in behavior, as opposed to a change of channels and a shift into third.

© CHRISTOPHER ORLET 2004

Christopher Orlet is an essayist and book critic. His work appears often in The American Spectator, the London Guardian, and Salon.com. Visit his homepage at www.christopherorlet.net

https://philosophynow.org/issues/44/The_Gymnasiums_of_the_Mind

==


A contemporary peripatetic philosopher, and past MTSU Lyceum lecturer (Fall '25): 
Does being in motion change how we think? Tracing the connections between thinking and transit—including walking, being transported by a vehicle, and many other modes—this innovative book shows how embodiment and movement deepen, expand, and transform creative thought... g'r
Dr. Megan Craig, Stony Brook University, at MTSU’s Applied Philosophy Lyceum

Full lecture: https://jcbmtsu.hosted.panopto.com/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=f4a600a0-37e1-405f-a5e8-b35a012181b6&start=660

Joined in progress (from closer range):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZhTSYE66Jg0&feature=shared

==

John Kaag: “James says, no, reality always outstrips the descriptions of it — and that’s for the best.”

NYTimes: Psychedelics Blew His Mind. He Wants Other Philosophers to Open Theirs.

"The findings of psychedelics wouldn't have surprised Heraclitus, Plato, Plotinus, Spinoza, Hegel, Schopenhauer, Emerson, Nietzsche and, most certainly, William James," John Kaag, a philosopher at the University of Massachusetts at Lowell and an expert on James, told me. Only over the past 100 years has the discipline, through an "analytic turn," been "trying to reduce all of human experience to the understandable, to the explicable," he said. "And James says, no, reality always outstrips the descriptions of it — and that's for the best."

https://www.nytimes.com/2025/09/21/books/review/justin-smith-ruiu-on-drugs-philosophy.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare
==

The Presocratics

"For the most part, these are thinkers of the sixth and fifth centuries BC. They weren't a group in any sense of the word, they mostly didn't know each other."

https://fivebooks.com/best-books/angela-hobbs-on-the-presocratics/
==

If you were Boethius…

I'll bet Neil Degrasse Tyson didn't see this question coming:

https://www.threads.com/@philosophyofaphysicist/post/DO-wagGkj5g?xmt=AQF0OfmKn_aG8HZrECt34ZmFq1LAmOTLWmIKMP25AddsiA&slof=1

39 comments:

  1. Ainsley Stewart (Section #1)February 17, 2026 at 8:49 PM

    4. What was Berkeley's Latin slogan? Do you think existence depends upon being perceived?

    His Latin slogan was “Esse est percipi,” translated as “To be is to be perceived.” I do not agree with this at all. In my opinion, according to the fact that object permanence exists, it should be fairly obvious that things continue to exist when they are not being perceived. Another reason I disagree with this slogan is that we can observe results of things that happened long ago with no one to observe them, such as the formation of galaxies millions of years ago. Even though no human observed these events, their effects can still be seen, and so they must have happened. Additionally, “observance” is not very clearly defined. If I video something happening without being present myself and then later watch the video back, did the camera itself “perceive” the event happening, or am I the one observing the event after the fact by way of the video? Do I retroactively cause the event to happen by watching the video back later? Are cameras able to force things to exist simply by being pointed at them? While this is fun to think about, it doesn’t make a lot of sense. 



    8. What 1755 catastrophe deeply influenced Voltaire's philosophy? Do you have a philosophical perspective on natural catastrophes that makes rational and moral sense of them?

    The earthquake in Lisbon, Portugal was the event that deeply influenced Voltaire in this way. The earthquake was followed by a tsunami and widespread fires that ravaged the city for weeks.
    My perspective on natural catastrophes is based more on my religious beliefs than a philosophical perspective. I believe that destructive natural disasters happen simply by merit of the world being “fallen” as a result of sin. There isn’t really a reason for them. 



    9. What did Voltaire mean by "cultivating our garden"? Do you agree with him?


    In one sense, Voltaire suggested “cultivating our garden” as a way of saying that people should keep themselves occupied by doing activities or working. A person who sits and theorizes all day rather than accomplishing something will quickly go insane. He also meant it as a call to action. “Cultivating our garden” is his way of saying “Make a difference.” In saying this, Voltaire is encouraging the reader to go out and do something good in the world in order to make it better rather than simply contemplating what the right thing to do might be.
    I very much agree with him, and would even go as far as to say this is one of my own personal philosophies. I strongly believe in keeping oneself occupied with work, as well as in making a tangible difference in the world through my own actions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sami Morse (Section #1)February 18, 2026 at 11:43 AM

    1. How did Samuel Johnson "refute" Berkeley's theory? Did he succeed? Why or why not? Samuel Johnson “refuted: Berkeley’s theory by kicking a very large stone with great force and saying, “I refute this.” He did not succeed in refuting Berkeley’s theory because Johnson’s action of kicking the rock did not prove that the rock existed when it was not being perceived.

    4. What was Berkeley's Latin slogan? Do you think existence depends upon being perceived? Berkeley’s Latin slogan was ‘esse est percipi’, which translates to ‘to be is to be perceived’. I don’t think existence depends upon being perceived. I think that all objects exist even when you’re not actively perceiving them, because for example, how would your food cook? If you were to put dinner in the microwave for 5 minutes, and then go to the bathroom, how would it be done cooking by the time you get back if it stopped existing when you left?

    7. What French champion of free speech and religious toleration wrote a satirical novel/play ridiculing the idea that everything is right (for the best)? Voltaire was the French champion of free speech and religious toleration who wrote a satirical novel/play ridiculing the idea that everything is right/for the best. The satirical novel was titled ‘Candide’ and it ridicules the optimistic philosophy “all is for the best” through the eyes of Professor Pangloss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natalie (Section #1)February 18, 2026 at 1:42 PM

    LHP
    1. How did Samuel Johnson "refute" Berkeley's theory? Did he succeed? Why or why not?
    Samuel Johnson said he was certain that material things do exist and aren’t just composed of ideas. He could feel a stone that he kicked in the street. He didn’t exactly succeed. To Berkeley, feeling doesn’t prove the existence of material objects; it only proves the idea of them. Objects are only what we call the sensations they give rise to. There is no reality behind the ideas we have. While I see what Samuel Johnson was trying to do in an attempt to refute Berkeley’s theory, I don’t think he successfully proved that things are real. We experience objects in many ways, including sight, touch, sound, etc., but these experiences from our senses don’t actually prove them to be real; our senses are flawed, and might not be capable of depicting “reality.”
    2. What made Berkeley an idealist, and an immaterialist? Are you one, the other, both, neither?
    Berkeley was an idealist because he believed that all that exist are ideas, and he was an immaterialist because he denied that physical objects exist. I don’t think I fall into either one of these categories. While I acknowledge that we have no real way of knowing, I like to think that some kind of “reality” actually exists, and while our senses are not always accurate, we are able to in part perceive that reality through them. Because of this, I have to say that physical objects exist and that reality exists in more than just an idea. Even if our perception of reality is not always accurate, I think it exists in physical forms.

    9. What did Voltaire mean by "cultivating our garden"? Do you agree with him?
    When Voltaire said, “we must cultivate our garden,” he meant that we need to do something useful for humanity rather than just talking about abstract philosophical questions. I think I do agree with him. I think it’s important to take action and accomplish things instead of just thinking about them. It’s important to take actions if you want to make an impact—if entrepreneurs and activists never took action, nothing would have changed, and the discussions about the problems they were trying to solve would’ve amounted to nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Berkley claimed to be more consistent than Locke because there aren't any holes in his way of thinking. Locke's philosophy proposed a lot of questions and there were many holes. Berkley believed that we perceive the world directly and the world subsequently only exists in people's minds. I think that Berkley had a point, I could get behind this one and I understood it but I couldn't really for Locke's.

    Berkley's slogan is “To be is to be perceived. I agree in some ways but not all. I think that just because you don't know something is happening doesn't mean it isn't happening. If nobody is around to see a tree fall the noise still happened because thats just how the world works. OI understand that the question looks on how the world works, but I find it hard to fully accept any of these philosophies.

    Alexander Pope was the philosopher who thought evil had its place in the world in the grand scheme of things coming to the conclusion that "whatever is, is right" and German philosopher Leibniz agreed. I feel like in a way it says things aren't necessarily wrong or bad because they were supposed to happen, but I also think that they understand that it can still be upsetting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Section #1

    1)
    English poet Alexander Pope declared that "whatever is, is right," and Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz supported this idea with his "Principle of Sufficient Reason." I believe that Liebniz's and Pope's philosophy ultimately does imply that nothing is ever wrong/bad. Sure, they acknowledge that "bad" still exists, but, to my understanding, they also argue that the terrible things that happen aren't necessarily evil. In contrast to Pope and Leibniz, I believe that bad things are simply that... bad.

    2)
    Voltaire's satirical novel "Candide" mocked the optimistic views of Leibniz and Pope, presenting a world of suffering in which "this is for the best" sounds absurd. On a side note, I wonder how Leibniz and Pope would react to the Epstein Files.

    3)
    By asking us to cultivate our garden, Voltaire is pushing us to stop, or rather slow down, speculating about the state of the world, and instead focus on actively improving the situation. He claimed we must focus on making purposeful changes and on helping others (and, in the process, ourselves).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Section #1

    1. Berkeley's Latin phrase is Esse est percipi, which means that to exist is to be perceived. Objects exist as ideas, and require minds that experience them. But even when human minds aren’t there to hear a tree fall, God still is. I don’t think existence requires being perceived; to me, that puts too much emphasis on the way others view us, and makes us almost like the objects of our own lives, rather than the subjects. Identity and existence come from within, not from external forces.

    2. Voltaire wrote Candide in 1759, a story which satirizes Leipnitz's optimistic view of the world. In the story, Candide travels the world with his philosophy teacher, witnessing disasters, suffering, and wickedness. The whole time, Candide’s teacher, Dr. Pangloss, continues to view these events as evidence that this is the best possible world, that these events are necessary evils, but by the end of the book Candide no longer agrees, even abandoning the practice of philosophy to “cultivate his garden.”

    3. Rousseau said, “Man was born free, and everywhere he is in chains.” Living in cities, not nature, has caused man to become greedy and corrupt, in constant competition for resources. The only way to be free is to set aside our own selfish goals, and instead seek what is best for the community as a whole. This is the General Will; in order to be free, some sacrifices of personal liberty or will must be made. While I disagree that those who do not desire the General Will must be forced to be free, I think that working in the community’s best interests at the very least brings a sense of intellectual freedom. It takes critical thinking to decide what is best for everyone and how to best accomplish those things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. How was Rousseau like Socrates? Are you, too?
    He enjoyed the little things in life and found meaning in that. I agree with him, you should find meaning in the little things and look forward to the big things.
    2.How did Samuel Johnson "refute" Berkeley's theory? Did he succeed? Why or why not?
    Berkeley said that by looking at the eye, you can prove an all-powerful god. Samuel said that at most it could prove intelligent design but not an all powerful god.
    3. What did Voltaire mean by "cultivating our garden"? Do you agree with him?
    He meant to contribute positively to the world, like donating to charity or becoming a doctor. I do agree that helping out fellow man is an important thing we can do with our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  8. #1
    LHP
    Unfortunately, I don't have as much time as normal, and I shot my fingers with lazers too many times today, so they hurt a lot. My answers therefore will be briefer than normal. I do apologize.
    First of all-- and I'm not certain this will count for credit but I do think it's worth mentioning as it regards to philosophy. A fellow student (not of philosophy) who shall go unnamed claimed to be a certified cheater and challenged me on the ethics of cheating.
    I am of the opinion that cheating is wrong-- and there are many reasons why, but to find a reason that would work for him, I first asked after his definition of cheating and then his definition of morally wrong. Although he answered the former, he was loath to answer the latter, so after I provided an example of something that was clearly morally wrong, we continued.
    Unfortunately, we couldn't finish the discussion (and indeed it took a lot of time away that I could have been reading the chapters and typing up my responses to questions), but I found it to be philosophy in its own way and well worth the time to question my own beliefs and come up with definitions and examples and concrete reasons why instead of vague notions. I feel that is what this class should be about. I ended up inviting him to talk with me later about it if we ran into each other again and I will invite him to explain to me why, in his opinion, it is morally right to cheat.
    Define your ideas for others my friends before you let them define you. Think before you act.

    Now with that out of the way, let's jump right into today's questions.
    3. In what way did Berkeley claim to be more consistent than Locke? Did Berkeley have a point about that?
    Locke claimed there were 3 levels to the world Secondary qualities, primary qualities, and then the real thing that we can't observe. Well, Berkley said that if we can't perceive (have an idea of it) it it doesn't exist. He never claimed there was a real world out there that we can check in on and that our perceptions differ from it. He says our perceptions aren't lying, they truly are the only things out there. They're ideas after all, and all that exists are ideas, how therefore could an idea-- which for our purposes are all that exists-- be a lie?
    I'm not saying he has a point, but I'm not convinced by any arguments I've heard for a singular truth-- so his claims make a lot of sense to me. It also means that people are a lot more honest than we think they are, which is nice.

    7. What French champion of free speech and religious toleration wrote a satirical novel/play ridiculing the idea that everything is right (for the best)?
    Voltaire, it was called Candide, and I think you're missing the second half of this question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. 12. Rousseau said we're born free but everywhere are in chains, but can liberate ourselves by submitting to what is best for the whole community, aka the General Will. Are we all more free when we act not only for ourselves but for the good of the whole community (world, species)?
      I wouldn't define free like that (probably because I grew up in America) but there is something to be said that it does make the world a better place. Free from worry, Free from potholes, Free from selfish jerks trying to influence politics for monetary gain. I like the appeal, however, if the wrong person defined General Will- we easily end up in 1984 and semi fascist to full fascist (freedom to not be free). If there was a truly General Will for the good of the world that wasn't corrupted by people, I'd happily put myself under that yolk (literally my dad challenged me-- asked if I'd keep working if I was keeping less than 10% of what I earn because it was all going to the good of the people (free healthcare, free transport, free lunches, free housing etc) and these goods were actually provided-- I immediately said yes I'd keep going down to nearly 0% of my wealth, especially if everyone else was doing the same. He said I was the strange one here).
      Rousseau sounds like he was advocating for this. I can totally get behind that sort of society. Now his opinion on how all humans are innately good and society makes us bad is much harder to believe, but it sure sounds nice. If humanity was truly that good, I'd have hope for this sort of society.

      Delete
  9. Section #1

    Little History of Philosophy

    4.) Esse est percipi- to be or to exist is to be perceived. I disagree with this wholeheartedly. I mean… we, as humans, can ignore things, but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist. An assignment due tomorrow can be, and I could ignore it, but that’s doesn’t change the due date just because I put it off. A streetlight at night still shines when no cars drive by. We may not be consciously thinking about that specific streetlight, but that doesn’t mean it disappears into thin air until we’re thinking about it again.
    6.) Alexander Pope wrote this line, and Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz agreed with him. In their theories, they don’t necessarily imply everything that happens is good, but they do imply that everything does happen for a reason. That also mention that God purposely made the world imperfect because nothing can be as perfect as God. I do agree. Everything does happen for a reason. What I do disagree with is that everything that happens is good. An example used in the text are natural disasters— yes, I do believe that they’re in God’s plan, but that’s doesn’t make them any less of a tragedy. We can be upset when these things happen because we’re human, we’re going to feel emotions, and these things do also affect people’s lives and how they continue to live.
    11.) Hume didn’t believe in miracles. He thought miracles defied the laws of nature, and therefore, he thought there were probable explanations for miracles, such as being mistaken or trying to trick you. I don’t draw lines at miracles because anything could happen. There have been many recoveries from diseases that doctors have said people wouldn’t have lived. Sure, it could just be a misconception on the doctor’s end, but it could also be a miracle. That’s where we can hold open the possibility. Some people just simply don’t want to believe miracles exist, which is fine, but I believe they do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What was Berkeley's Latin slogan? Do you think existence depends upon being perceived? Berkley’s Latin phrase was “to be is to be perceived”. I somewhat agree and disagree that existence depends on being perceived, especially in a conventional sense. I can’t agree that the existence of anything relies on perception in a physical sense, based in the 5 senses alone. I believe there is so much beyond what we can grasp and understand here, and I believe in intangible things I cannot perceive. I believe reality is based in a shared perception of the things around us, much like what Voltaire explains, but I feel that things exist beyond us that we can’t fully understand.

    What did Voltaire mean by "cultivating our garden"? Do you agree with him? Voltaire meant that instead of spending time laying back, contemplating life and the world, we should be proactive and contribute to our communities. I think Voltaire treasured finding ways to improve life and discovering ways to better the world on a small scale. Rather than dappling in metaphysics and the reason behind it all, he believed we should pursue meaningful work throughout our lives. I think there is a balance in philosophy, of contemplating the meaning of things, and hopefully finding a truth that leads you to live a fulfilling and happy life. To me, this is the most important version of the garden.

    What were Rousseau's "multitudes"? Most of all he was a ___. Are you one? Rousseau was a philosopher, novelist, composer, essayist, botanist, autodidact, fugitive, political theories, masochist, most of all, he was a walker. While I must admit, I am not a walker to the extreme that Rousseau was; I do enjoy walking a lot. I relate in a way that sometimes I feel restless, and walking helps my thoughts flow, and I feel more creative, productive, and I can solve problems more easily. When I sit down and write for too long, I love to go outside and take a couple laps, because it inspires me. When I feel stressed out, walking helps me play out scenarios in my head and normally I can relax.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kiersten Brooke TaylorFebruary 18, 2026 at 9:35 PM

    I have a question about Berkeley's theory. By his logic, would reality be "a dream molded by the dreamer", like G.K. Chesterton said?

    ReplyDelete
  12. section #3
    2.) Samuel Johnson just kicked a rock and said he refuted Berkeleys theory by proving that there was a physical sensation that accompanied the look of the rock, but that didnt actually refute anything because it only could prove the existence of an idea of a physical sensation of a hard rock.
    4. Berkeley's slogan was esse es percipi. I think a lot of our perceptions are subjective but I think the answer to this question depends on your framing of the idea of existence.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Section #1

    7.) The French champion of free speech and religious toleration was Voltaire. He wrote Candide, a satirical novel that mocked the idea that everything happens for the best in the best of all possible worlds. Through exaggerated suffering and absurd events, Voltaire criticized blind optimism, especially the philosophy associated with Leibniz. Instead of accepting that all events are part of a perfect plan, Voltaire showed how unrealistic and even cruel that belief can sound in the face of real suffering.

    8.) The catastrophe that deeply influenced Voltaire was the Lisbon Earthquake. The massive destruction and loss of life made it difficult to believe that such tragedy was part of a perfectly ordered and good plan. It pushed Voltaire to question optimistic philosophies that tried to justify evil and suffering. I think natural catastrophes make more sense when understood as part of the natural order rather than moral punishments or divine plans. They are tragic, but they do not necessarily carry moral meaning. Trying to force a moral explanation onto them can sometimes make the suffering seem even more confusing.

    9.) When Voltaire said we must “cultivate our garden,” he meant that instead of speculating endlessly about why evil exists, we should focus on practical work and improving our own lives and communities. In Candide, this idea comes at the end, after the characters experience constant suffering and philosophical debates that lead nowhere. Voltaire suggests that productive action and personal responsibility are more meaningful than abstract optimism. I agree with him to an extent. While philosophy is important, constantly searching for ultimate explanations can distract us from actually doing good in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Section #1

    1. How did Samuel Johnson "refute" Berkeley's theory? Did he succeed? Why or why not?

    A: Samuel Johnson attempted to "refute" Berkeley's immaterialist theory by claiming that he could feel "stone hard against his toe when he kicked it." However, as sound as this argument may seem, it was ultimately ineffective against Berkeley's theory. Feeling the bluntness of a stone against your foot didn't prove the material existence of an object, Berkeley argued. It simply allows us to conjure the "idea" of a "hard stone," never guaranteeing the existence of a material behind the perceived sensations.

    2. What made Berkeley an idealist, and an immaterialist? Are you one, the other, both, neither?

    A: Berkeley was considered an idealist because he subscribed to the belief that ideas are all that exist; we observe physical manifestations of these "ideas." He was considered an immaterialist because he dismissed the veracity of a material world filled with physical objects. I personally don't conceptually align with either of these systems. I am able to interact with physical objects and I find it unlikely that said objects don't actually exist.

    3. In what way did Berkeley claim to be more consistent than Locke? Did Berkeley have a point about that?

    A: Berkeley claimed to be more consistent than Locke in his belief that "we do perceive the world directly." This perception, Berkeley argued, is gathered through the observation of "ideas." While I don't personally agree with Berkeley's theory, his means of categorization are certainly more consistent than that of Locke, who drew a distinction between "primary" and "secondary qualities."

    ReplyDelete
  15. Feb 19 LHP 15-18

    LHP 4. “Esse est percipi”- to be (or exist) is to be perceived. I do not think that existence is reliant on being perceived. In fact, I think this is a deceptive feature of reality. We only have access to the world through our brains and eyes so it is impossible to view reality from someone else’s perspective. This gives us the illusion or misunderstanding that our reality is the only thing there is. I believe that there is a solid and consistent reality that underlies everyone and everything’s experience. However, no entity on earth has access to this reality. Our perception is taking one snapshot at a time and processing as much information as possible like a picture. In that regard, I am more Lockean about how I view reality.

    LHP 5. Berkeley’s theory states that the world can only exist while being perceived. He fails to acknowledge the phenomenon of a shared reality. Two or more people can perceive an object at different times and at different angles and still agree on what the object is. I understand Berkeley if he was trying to pose a thought experiment about semantics, and how each person experiences reality in a different way. However, Berkeley does seem to contradict himself by saying that a real material world does not exist without being observed, but then goes on to say that God is observing the entire world all the time.

    LHP 8. The 1755 Lisbon earthquake, tsunami, and fires led Voltaire to become more pessimistic about the nature of reality, and reject Leibniz’s idea that we exist in the “best of all possible worlds”. I see natural disasters as agents of change in the universe. When a wildfire scorches the earth, new flowers emerge with rich nutrients and the soil is revitalized with minerals. The disaster can be terrible for living things in the moment, and it is natural to grieve and suffer during a disaster. I am not saying that natural disasters are good or fair. However, I do not curse their existence, because they are to be expected no matter what. The only thing we can do is prepare.

    LHP 9. Voltaire believed it was possible to become too preoccupied with philosophizing, and end up neglecting the pertinent tasks that sustain life. He reminds us that while philosophy has its time and place we must never forget the obstacle right in front of us. I enthusiastically agree with Voltaire, because I have found myself in this dilemma of thinking rather than doing so many times. A few years ago I had a philosophy phase with a group of my friends. We all lived together, and we sat around for hours discussing and arguing the deepest concepts we could find. We were not intentionally doing this, I just happen to have a friend group of highly curious people. What I realized was that we spent years trying to uncover truths about the world, but our physical state never changed. We still lived in a one bedroom apartment and had bills to cover, we had mediocre jobs, none of us were classically educated, and we all worked manual labor jobs. I enjoyed every second of those deep conversations, but one night I decided I was going to leave. I could not stay there philosophizing and dreaming any longer. I had to go out into the world and start living. I still find time to think deeply about the world, but cultivating my garden has become the priority.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weiner 3. Rousseau left a legacy that encouraged democracy and freedom. His ideas pointed out the sacrifices required to live in a society. A person trades some of their freedoms for a protected and connected society. However, he also predicted where a society might go rotten. Rousseau noted that when people are forced to live in close proximity and work for others to climb a social ladder, this will lead to unhappiness, jealousy, and a degenerate society. Rousseau also gave more attention to the heart and feelings than he did rational thinking. In this way, he contrasts Descartes, who was a believer in logic and rationality. I think Rousseau is a powerful example of someone who felt deeply and strongly. Instead of feeling shame from his emotions, Rousseau allowed himself to experience what he needed to no matter how dramatic or petty.

      Delete
  16. Graham Waltenbaugh (section #1)February 19, 2026 at 8:43 AM

    LHP 1 - Samuel Johnson refuted Berkeley's theory by kicking a rock and saying, "I refute it thus." His point was that the ability to physically interact with things disproved Berkeley's idea that everything was only an idea or projection of what we think that thing is. I think Johnson was unsuccessful, as Berkeley's idea of things being ideas was not limited to sight, but all senses. By kicking the rock, you are only experiencing the idea of the physical sensation of doing that.

    LHP 2 - Berkeley was an idealist (because he believed all existing things were our own ideas) and an immaterialist (because he denied the existence of true material objects). I'm neither. I think if everything that exists around us is only an idea of something, and truly nothing is material, what difference does it make? If I can sense and interact with these ideas in the same way I could do if these things were material, then what's the point of believing they aren't real? If I'm hammering in a nail, and the hammer is doing its job of pushing the nail further, then what difference would it make if the hammer was material or an "idea"?

    Berkeley's belief that things do not exist if they aren't perceived actually lines up in a fun way with video game development. All objects that exist in a digital space must have their position and dimensions calculated within the game's world, and then other engines like lighting and particles (e.g. dust or water) must be calculated on top of that. This process is called rendering. In older generations of gaming, it was too taxing for computers and consoles to render every single object in a game world, so developers created a workaround: if it was not on the player's screen, the computer wouldn't render it. This way, items would only render if they were able to be perceived instead of still taking up processing power off-screen, which really helped to optimize games. In that sense, things would only "exist" if they were perceived, thus meshing with Berkeley's ideas in a fun way.

    ReplyDelete
  17. 1. Samuel Johnson responded to Berkeley’s claim that material objects don’t exist independently of perception by kicking a stone and saying, “I refute it thus.” He believed the pain and solidity he felt proved the stone’s physical existence. However, Berkeley would argue this only proves the experience of hardness, not the existence of a material object beyond perception. So Johnson’s reaction appealed to common sense but did not logically disprove Berkeley’s argument.

    2. Berkeley is called an idealist because he believed reality consists only of ideas in minds. He is an immaterialist because he denied that physical matter exists independently of perception. According to him, objects are collections of ideas perceived by minds (and continuously perceived by God). Personally, I would be neither: while perception shapes our experience of reality, scientific evidence strongly supports the existence of a physical world independent of our minds.

    3.Locke believed a real external world exists and that our minds perceive it indirectly through ideas. He argued that primary qualities (shape, size) reflect real properties, while secondary qualities (color, smell) arise from perception. Berkeley argued this was inconsistent: if all knowledge comes from experience, we can’t verify that our ideas resemble an external world we never directly access. Berkeley claimed greater consistency by saying we perceive reality directly because reality is ideas. He does have a point- Locke’s theory struggles to explain how we can know the external world’s true nature- but Berkeley’s solution requires accepting the counterintuitive claim that nothing exists outside perception.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amelia Ferreira - Section #2February 19, 2026 at 9:22 AM

    LHP

    1. How did Samuel Johnson "refute" Berkeley's theory? Did he succeed? Why or why not?
    Samuel Johnson "refuted" Berkeley's theory by kicking a stone in the street. Because he could feel the rock against his foot, he claimed that Berkeley's theory that all material objects are just ideas had been disproven. However, Berkeley's theory extended to all the senses, not just sight; just because Johnson could feel, see, and hear the stone didn't mean it really existed outside of Johnson's perceptions, according to Berkeley's logic.

    2. What made Berkeley an idealist, and an immaterialist? Are you one, the other, both, neither?
    Berkeley was an idealist, because he believed that all objects are simply collections of ideas, and he was an immaterialist because he did not believe that actual physical objects existed.
    I do not agree with either idea. I believe that certainly our senses can fool us at times into misinterpreting reality, but for the most part, what they tell us is there is actually there. The whole "if a tree falls in a forest when there is nobody around, did anything actually happen?" adage seems a bit silly to me. If I see a tree standing upright in a forest, leave it, and then come back a week later to see that it has fallen over, then of course something happened to it while I was not perceiving it, proving that objects continue to exist when we are not around. Of course, I guess Berkeley would then deny that the tree actually exists in the first place, and I would get annoyed at him at that point and probably leave.


    4. What was Berkeley's Latin slogan? Do you think existence depends upon being perceived?
    Berkeley's Latin slogan was "Esse est percipi.," or "to be is to be perceived."
    I do not think existence depends of being perceived. There are so many forces at work in the world that have been at work for longer than humans have even been around- does that mean they didn't exist until we did? Of course not! Gravity was around before Isaac Newton gave it a name. It created starts and planets. Various elements made up the universe before we gave them names, determined their properties, and put them in a little chart. And undoubtedly there exist many more phenomena completely beyond our understanding or perception affecting the universe in ways we know nothing about.

    ReplyDelete
  19. #2
    LHP
    Berkley’s philosophy “to be is to be perceived” is agreeable to some degree. There is a similar concept in quantum mechanics regarding the measurement of particles. When observed, particles behave differently than when they are unobserved in a system. For example, electrons can pass through a double slit and form a wave-like pattern, but this effect ceases when they are observed under a microscope. Even though this is the opposite of what Berkley claims, the concept is that things behave differently under observation. However, I disagree that things that aren’t seen do not happen. A wolf eating an animal might go unobserved, but that does not mean it doesn’t happen.

    “Cultivating your garden” is a phrase I can get behind. Humans spend too much time worrying about things they cannot control or doing things that are useless to their own well-being. I remember there was this old movie with Bruce Lee where he was trying to fight his enemies and escape, only to be trapped with nowhere to go. Instead of wasting time on useless escape tactics and punching the walls to regain his freedom, he sat there and began meditating to conserve his energy. That was the best course of action at the time. He saved his energy because he knew he would need it later, when he was not in a four-by-four cage, all helpless. He did not waste his time. This does not mean that humans cannot spend time doing what they enjoy. Sometimes the best course of action is to take your mind off things and relax. Trying to be at 110% all the time can have its negative effects. Spending time on hobbies or other activities of such can boost mental health and help you in the long run, an investment of sorts.

    Hube thought that miracles did not actually exist. They defied the laws of nature and therefore could not be possible. He believed that there had to be an explanation for everything. Miracles could be people deceiving others with false information. I personally disagree with this ideology, and I think miracles have and could happen.

    ReplyDelete
  20. #3
    1. How did Samuel Johnson "refute" Berkeley's theory? Did he succeed? Why or why not?
    Samuel Johnson kicked a rock, and claimed that since he could feel it when it was kicked, the rock could not just be an idea, but had to be a material object. This did not disprove anything, though, because Berkeley claimed this only proved that the rock was hard.

    2. What made Berkeley an idealist, and an immaterialist? Are you one, the other, both, neither?
    He was an idealist and immaterialist because he believed that all objects are simply a form of ideas.

    7. What French champion of free speech and religious toleration wrote a satirical novel/play ridiculing the idea that everything is right (for the best)?
    Voltaire was the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Questions: Section #2
    1. Johnson said that he was certain that some material things existed and that they were not just composed of ideas, an example of this being a hard stone. Johnson's point did not fully refute Berkley's theory. Johnson could not prove that the stone was a material object based on how it felt, only the idea of the stone's material. Thus, Berkley's theory remained plausible after Johnson's trial.
    2. Berkley was an idealist because he believed that all that exists are ideas and he was an immaterialist because he denied the existence of material things. I am neither. I tend to think that material things exist. I justify this by saying that they exist materially to me so I will trust my senses.
    4. Berkley's slogan was 'Esse est percipi' which means 'to be (or exist) is to be perceived.' I would say that we do not know whether we exist unless we rely on perception of others or ourselves. After all, all we can deduct comes from our senses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also not an idealist because I also think material things exist. I think Berkley was taking it too far.

      Delete
  22. Section H01:

    1.Johnson "refuted" Berkeley by kicking a stone and saying, "I refute it thus." I don't think it worked. Berkeley argued that we only ever know our perceptions, and the kick was just another perception. It felt convincing, but it did not answer the argument.

    2. Berkeley was an idealist because he said everything exists as ideas in minds. He was an immaterialist because he denied that material substance exists. I am neither, since I think the physical world exists whether or not it is being perceived.

    4. His slogan was "esse est percipi," which means "to be is to be perceived." I don't think existence depends on being perceived. Perception is how we know something exists, not what makes it exist.

    ReplyDelete
  23. 1. How did Samuel Johnson “refute” Berkeley’s theory? Did he succeed? Why or why not?

    Samuel Johnson supposedly refuted Berkeley’s theory by kicking a stone and saying something like, “I refute it thus.” Berkeley argued that physical objects do not exist independently of perception. Johnson’s response was meant to show that the stone was obviously real because he could kick it and feel its resistance. However, Johnson did not actually disprove Berkeley’s argument. Berkeley could respond that the feeling of pain and the resistance of the stone are themselves experiences that exist in the mind. So, kicking the stone demonstrates that we have a strong experience of a physical object, but it does not prove that the object exists independently of perception. Therefore, Johnson’s response is convincing as common sense, but it does not logically refute Berkeley’s theory.

    2. What made Berkeley an idealist, and an immaterialist? Are you one, the other, both, neither?

    Berkeley was an idealist because he believed that reality is fundamentally made up of ideas and minds rather than physical matter existing independently of perception. He argued that when we experience an object, what we actually experience are ideas in our minds, such as its color, shape, texture, and smell.

    He was also an immaterialist because he rejected the existence of material substance. Berkeley did not think that objects were made of some underlying physical matter that exists outside of perception. His famous idea was essentially that to be is to be perceived. He believed that objects continue to exist when humans are not looking at them because God always perceives them.

    I would say that I am neither an idealist nor an immaterialist. I think our perceptions are important for understanding the world, but I also believe that physical objects exist even when nobody is perceiving them. For example, I believe a chair still exists in an empty room even if no one is there to see it.

    3. In what way did Berkeley claim to be more consistent than Locke? Did Berkeley have a point about that?

    Berkeley believed that he was more consistent than Locke because Locke argued that we directly experience ideas in our minds, but he still believed that there was a material world existing outside the mind that caused those ideas. Berkeley thought Locke was making an unnecessary assumption. If all we ever experience are ideas, Berkeley argued, then we have no direct evidence for a separate material substance behind those ideas.

    Berkeley therefore believed that Locke should have followed his own reasoning further. If we cannot experience material substance directly, Berkeley thought we should not claim that it exists. In that sense, Berkeley did have a point: he exposed a possible gap between Locke’s claim that we only directly know our ideas and Locke’s belief in an independently existing material world. However, someone could still argue that physical objects are the best explanation for why our experiences are so consistent, even if we do not directly experience “matter” itself.

    ReplyDelete
  24. H01

    1. How did Samuel Johnson "refute" Berkeley's theory? Did he succeed? Why or why not?

    Samuel Johnson refuted Berkeley's theory by kicking a stone on the street and saying that since he can feel it and feel the pain on his stone that therefore it is a material and it does exist. I'm not too sure if he did or did not because Berkeley states that just because it is a sensation of hardness doesn't mean that the stone actually exist but just that the idea of a hard stone exist. It's a little hard to wrap my head around it. Berkeley is saying that everything exist in ideas and nothing is really real which I don't really agree as things that exist or come to ideas are there even if we don't understand them.
    2. What made Berkeley an idealist, and an immaterialist? Are you one, the other, both, neither?

    Berkeley was an idealist because he always followed his principles even when it went against common sense like being tar water could heal everything. Berkeley was an immaterialist because he didn't believe anything exist and instead were just ideas and experiences of what people thought what they were. I could say that I am an idealist a bit, not to a full extreme extend, but I do things that go against common sense because of what I really want to hope and believe. There's no harm in having hope right?

    3. In what way did Berkeley claim to be more consistent than Locke? DId Berkeley have a point about that?

    Berkeley claim to be more consistent than Locke by saying that instead that the world is what we perceive and what we know about it. Not that there's more to the world that we can't understand like Locke did. I think Berkeley had some point as we only know what the world as what we perceive it but there are so many things that we don't understand even about ourselves that leaves room for a need of explanation.
    4. What was Berkeley's Latin slogan? Do you think existence depends upon being perceived?

    "Esse est perici". I do think that existence depends upon whether we are perceived or not, if no one can see us then how we can truly know we exist. We might be able to think but what good is that if we can't not express it to others.




    ReplyDelete
  25. (section 1) SSHP
    2. We are what we repeatedly do
    3.I believe it would be what opportunities they miss by looking un-alike the part
    5. Walk

    ReplyDelete
  26. section 2
    1.Samuel Johnson kicked a stone, in attempt to prove that the stone clearly exists independently, but Berkeley did not agree. He thought that the stone could still just be perceived through our senses, with the idea that we create what we percieve.
    2."Esse est percipi", "to be is to be percieved". Berkeley ultimately believed that everything we see is strictly just because of our senses and perception, that ideas and minds are intertwined rather than existing separately. I don't think I agree with this because there is so much life in existence that we don't perceive that isn't just going to appear when we do.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Baker Kilmartin Section 1

    LHP
    2.
    Unlike Berkeley, I would say I have belief in everything existing always, however, I would say that I really do enjoy the “brain teaser” that is thinking, as though this is not the case. It is much more interesting, as well as egotistical, to believe that the world disappears and reappears to suit you and where you are. Or if you choose to look at it this way, every human, but not every being, controls whether or not an object exists. I always find myself wondering whilst on walks, about the other people that have made that very same walk since the last time I did, and what effects that had on the area treaded.

    6.
    Alexander Pope, Leibniz. Both believed in the theory that everything wrong with the world is a lack of perspective on our part to understand how these actions may be helpful elsewhere. I think in their opinion, they would say that things are still bad, but they still have an overall good effect when you take into account the whole world, and not the small subsection that whatever action is affecting. Honestly, if there is a real god out there, I would like to believe this is the truth, because it is hard for me to rally behind and being that would intentionally cause so many awful things.

    8.
    Lisbon earthquake. Since these disasters are called “natural disasters” to me, I think, that there is a purpose to each and everyone, however, we don’t yet know what that is. It could be a warning sign, rebalancing certain things, or pretty much anything, to be honest, perhaps one day we will know the full extent of their existence, but I doubt I will live long enough to see that, basically I think this will be at least like 100 years from now.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Section 3
    Sick Souls, Healthy Minds, Chapter 3
    1. James wrote The Principles of Psychology to answer how life gives rise to human consciousness—the relationship between living existence and thinking. He wanted psychology to meet scientific standards without reducing the richness of human mental life to an oversimplified mechanical explanation.
    2. As Kaag presents Aristotle’s teaching, our character is formed by repeated actions, and excellence depends on habit rather than isolated achievements. The central idea is that becoming a good person requires repeatedly practicing good conduct, not merely knowing what goodness means.
    3. Young people would pay more attention to their conduct if they realized how quickly they would become “walking bundles of habits.” Their repeated actions help establish patterns that become increasingly automatic and difficult to change. James’s point is that everyday choices gradually shape the people we become.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Section 2:
    2- Berkley was an idealist in a way I was not familiar with. His version of an idealist is described as believing that everything that exists only exists in ideas, they are not independently existing without our observation and ideas. This is further built upon when calling himself an immaterialist, as that means we ONLY experience ideas and never the materials in question, showing the substance itself is unnecessary compared to our ideas of them. I believe that I am neither; when I think of the example of a tree in the forest after I leave its presence, I believe that it still exists without my observation.
    7- Voltaire was a French playwright known for being a champion of free speech. He is known for saying "I hate what you say but will defend to the death your right to say it" which shows the true dedication of free speech. He wrote Candide where one of the characters Pangloss, seems to represent Gottfried Leibniz and his ideas of the world being crafted to the best degree because God is perfect and the world's creator. The story constantly faces situations of natural and human-induced suffering which serves as a mockery of Leibniz's philosophy that everything is for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  30. 1. How did Samuel Johnson "refute" Berkeley's theory? Did he succeed? Why or why not?
    Samuel Johnson supposedly “refuted” Berkeley's theory by kicking a stone and saying that he refuted it. I don't think he actually succeeded, though. Berkeley's argument was that physical objects are really just the ideas or sensations we have of them, so kicking the stone doesn't prove that there is some physical object existing outside of our perception. It just proves that Johnson experienced the sensation of kicking something. I understand what Johnson was trying to prove, but I don't think kicking a rock is enough to completely disprove Berkeley's argument. It definitely feels like the rock is real, but that doesn't necessarily answer the philosophical question of what “real” actually means.
    2. What was Berkeley's Latin slogan? Do you think existence depends upon being perceived?
    Berkeley's Latin slogan was “Esse est percipi,” which means “to be is to be perceived.” I don't really agree with this. I think things can exist even when nobody is actively perceiving them. If I leave my room and come back later, I don't think my bed disappears just because I wasn't looking at it. The same thing applies to things that happened before humans were around to observe them. We can see evidence of things that happened millions or billions of years ago even though nobody was there to watch them happen. I think perception can tell us about what exists, but I don't think it is what makes something exist in the first place.
    3. What did Voltaire mean by "cultivating our garden"? Do you agree with him?
    When Voltaire talked about “cultivating our garden,” I think he meant that instead of spending all of our time trying to figure out every possible philosophical problem, we should actually do something with our lives and make the world around us better. I agree with this. I think there's definitely value in thinking about big questions, but there comes a point where thinking about something over and over isn't actually accomplishing anything. If you want something to change, you eventually have to do something about it. I also think this applies to smaller things in your own life. You don't have to solve every problem in the world to make a difference. Sometimes just taking care of the things around you and doing what you can is enough.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Section #2
    1.) James thought that everybody should do two things that they hate every day. I think this can be good advice, but I don't think it's something I would start doing in my own life. Of course sometimes you have to do things you don't want to do, but I feel like you shouldn't try to do things you hate every day. I do think it's good to challenge yourself, though.

    2.) Berkeley was an idealist because he believed that everything that exists are ideas, and he was an immaterialist because he denied the existence of physical objects. I would consider myself to be neither of these. I believe that physical objects are indeed physical things, not just ideas, and that they continue to exist when we aren't looking at them. As for the question at the beginning of the book: does the light really go off when you shut the fridge door? Yes, yes it does. If you look really closely and move the door slowly until it's barely open, you'll see the light turn off. I know that wasn't the point of the question, but I figured I would add that in anyway.

    3.) For my third comment, I want to reflect on the chapter in LHP about Hume. When I first read about the argument that everything has to be designed by something, I thought that that made sense and could be true. After all, while I don't consider myself religious, I'm more agnostic than I am athiest. I think the idea of a higher power designing things to be the way they are is an interesting idea. After reading Hume's argument, I can understand his point as well. Even if things are designed by something, what evidence do we have to prove that the designer is god rather than something else entirely?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Tyler Scherr - H02
    LHP
    2. He believed that al that exists are ideas, and he denied that physical things exist. I don't think I am either.
    4. Esse est percipi, and I believe that they may be connected somehow but not to the point that they need to be observed to exist.
    9. He means to do something meaningful for society, in this context. He means that on a fundamental level, we need to do things that will give us a way to flourish and be happy and are meaningful, instead of just talking about how to achieve those things. Yes, I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Section 2
    LHP

    The biggest issue in philosophy to me is staying empirical. I think that there is so much to prove in so many other areas of life, but I don’t think philosophy is about “proving” one ideology over the other. Philosophy’s grandest questions (what is our purpose and who created us) are at odds with empiricism. This is not to say that we shouldn’t continue to research and attempt to prove our philosophies, as philosophical answers often include scientific discovery, but I think we need to be okay with not proving absolutely everything. David Hume showed skepticism of religious miracles, which I relate to. My issues with religions is that you must be a complete believer, and if you aren’t, you are seen as a heretic. I think religion should allow more skepticism, allowing events to be questioned, as in the end it doesn’t matter. Whether or not I believe Jesus walked on water should have nothing to do with my belief in God.
    Voltaire’s belief in cultivating our gardens spoke to me similarly. I think that religion has become competitive in who is the best believer when, in reality, it should be about how religion impacts your choices. It shouldn’t matter how much you believe about the Bible as much as it should matter if you act according to its values. As long as you are good and act good, why does it matter how much scripture you have memorized?
    I can see why Rousseau was and is so controversial, as he had a similar belief. Whatever God or creator you feel in your soul, that is the one that matters. You should act according to what your inner truth says, not based on other peoples’ interpretations of a religious work.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Johnson kicked a stone which "proved" Berkeleys theory to be false. It doesnt actually prove anything because the sensation of kicking the stone could merely be just that.
    Im an idealist in the sense that all of reality is contorted by the mind, but not immaterialist, which is to say there is nothing but the mind. Although the distinction is merely semantic in practice.
    Locke separated "primary and secondary" characteristics by those extensions which are perceived by the mind and those that are tangibly/intersubjectively distinct. Berkely merely claimed, instead of all things being intersubjectively distinct, that all things were perceived and non-distinct. He had a point about locke being inconsistent, he just went the other way with his solution.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Section 2

    2. What made Berkeley an idealist, and an immaterialist? Are you one, the other, both, neither?

    Berkeley was an idealist because he believed all that really exists are ideas, and he was an immaterialist because he believed that physical objects don't exist. I am don't think I am, fully, either one however, I think I could be considered a low spectrum idealist.

    4. What was Berkeley's Latin slogan? Do you think existence depends upon being perceived?

    Berkeley's Latin slogan translated to "to be is to be perceived". No, I don't think existence depends on being perceived. Two people have the ability to have different perspectives on something, but that only shows that there's more than one way for something to be shown, not exist.

    5. What obvious difficulty does Berkeley's theory face? Is it possible to have ideas that are consistent (non-contradictory) but still about non-realities?

    The obvious difficulty for Berkeley is explaining how "we can ever be mistaken about anything". Yes, I believe it is possible.

    ReplyDelete